Tax on Beer!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tax on Beer!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Unhappy Tax on Beer!

As a Canadian, there are many things that make us stand out: hosers, Tim Bits, Tim Hortons, Hockey, Hockey fights, Toques, snobbery to Americans, etc. But the one thing that seems somewhat "sacreligious" is our national drink, aka beer. Last night I got to participate in a focus group (and get paid $60 for my opinion!!) and it was done by Brewers of Canada. They were trying to find out what ads might be good to bring to light the fact that Canadains pay 52% tax on their beer!

Yup. You heard me.

52-****in'-percent!

Now, I'm not stupid. Governments cost money (all those services they do for us... while we wait in line for 3 hours) and beer is a "sin" and "luxury" (although for some it's a way of life) but I have to admit I was rather shocked.

And if you think that we're around par to the rest of the world in this regard, take a look at this. You might be rather surprised.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    52-****in'-percent!
    dam...I'm poor as it is! lol Do you guys have Food stamps for beer....BEER STAMPS? jk. I'm guessing there isn't alot of drunks up your way?

Oh.. people drink. They just don't know that the case of 2-4 they buy is 52% tax.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

The US shows at 19%, but that must be an average. I know Washinton state is higher than that, but I am unsure exactly what it is. Every state is different. Nevada is far cheaper than here, I do know that.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Banned
    I guess it all depends on how cheap/expensive your beer is to begin with... on that list, it shows Belgium as having 31% Vs. 19% for the US. All I know is that beer is a LOT cheaper in Belgium, even with that bigger tax. I'm pretty sure even Budweiser is cheaper in Belgium than it is in the US (they wouldn't be able to sell it if it weren't ).

ah ah ah...

its funny to see you to complain about taxes. if you think that is unfair, never, ever, think about live here.

52%? here is considered a medium tax.

examples:

fuel (gas.) 70% tax

food in general 40%

beer, cigarrete 90%

car - 60%

wellcome to the jungle
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    The US shows at 19%, but that must be an average.
    There's a reason..... The crap you Americans call "beer" isn't.... It's gnat's piss.... You are being taxed under false pretences....

Ms. M: You got your Canadian love of beer from the Brits... Which came out of Europe.... Glad to see you still appreciate something we gave you....

To all you Americans who _think_ you drink beer......

You don't have the "King of Beers"... It barely, and I mean _barely_, reaches the standards required for the worst beer. Coors... Made with "Rocky Mountain water" is shipped in concentrate and filled up at the destination with the local, often polluted, water..... "Less filling, more taste", or whatever that ad is.... Less filling because it's water.... More taste than.... What????

Americans kid themselves about beer..... Even the imports are watered down to a max of 5% by content.... WTF is that? Get a yank, (or a Canadian), in a nice northern English pub for a night and wave goodbye to them at 8:00pm after their third beer.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Ms. M: You got your Canadian love of beer from the Brits... Which came out of Europe.... Glad to see you still appreciate something we gave you....
    Actually, truth be told, I'm Acadian and definately have both families coming from France in the 1600s.

Get a yank, (or a Canadian), in a nice northern English pub for a night and wave goodbye to them at 8:00pm after their third beer.....
    Oh.. I don't know about that for Canadians. Guiness is rather popular here.

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    You are being taxed under false pretences....

I'm not a beer drinker anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me. I'm curious though, does anyone know if the taxes on liquor are similar? Or is it a totally different ballgame?
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

/me moves to Canada and cheap beer/