ctrl-alt-delete

Thread: ctrl-alt-delete

ctrl-alt-delete

I had a program that locked up. When I go to Windows Task Manager and tried to end a task, it just sat there. I clicked on end task again and it spawned another running task of the same locked up application. I clicked on "end task now" to kill the new running application and it did kill the process. After about 10 minutes the locked up task did finally end.
    Is there any other way to kill a locked up application than the Task Manager? How long should I wait for Task Manager to do its job? Why would it keep re-spawning the same process?

Also, I am now getting a "Send Error Report" over and over again. Does this pop up have anything to do with the number of times that I clicked on the "End Task" button? Is there a way to stop this pop up?

I am using WinXP Pro SP1.

I've had several applications hang and not end.
    I find that if I go to the process manager and kill the process it will end faster.

There are other ways to end tasks too... you can open up a command prompt and use the
    tasklist and taskkill utilities. (these my be with the resouce kit? not sure off hand.)

BTW: You can disable the error reporting service. Go to your services (start, run, services.msc) and disable the error reporting service. This should reduce the number of error reportings that you get. Keep in mind that sometimes they are useful for debugging if you know what you are looking at or know what you are looking for. This won't stop them all, but it will greately reduce them.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    I had a program that locked up
    What program? Sometimes the program will not work in xp and thus need to change the compatibility mode to get to even work, might need to update it, and so on. But please tell us what it is. If you can't tell what it is then say so and further steps will come.

Thanks phish, I will try the process manager next time. Will have to look into the command prompt options.
    Anybody else have any other suggestions or comments, I would appreciate it.

kurt, actually it is Links 2001. I had it working on XP home before this.

I forgot to mention pstools from systernals.com. great set of command line utiltiies.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../pstools.shtml

Get the pstools suite. You can even use it over networks if you have correct user credentials.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.