Thread: Getting master in security

Getting master in security

Im getting ready to graduate with a computer science degree, ive been interested in security for a while now and i want to move on to a masters in computer security. Im sure there is a wide range of programs out there. Can anyone outline what are the best programs out there. Which schools to apply to. One that im definetly applying to is CMU.

I know getting certification like CCSP(i have CCNA), Security+ and in the future CISSP would be the way to go, but i do want to get my masters as well.

Thanks alot

Your best bet would be to go to the library and look through some of the reference publications that are published early that rank colleges by different standards. I think usnews also does a ranking of masters program. For picking a college I rarely depend on the opinion of others unless they went to the school and I am looking for very specific information. The publications that rank the schools do such a good job of analyzing different colleges that that alone will usually answer all of your questions...

CMU, Berklee, MIT, and UF all have great IT programs, and I'm sure they all have security programs. There are many other great IT programs across the nation. I wouldn't expect to get into any of those schools unless you have a really high GPA and high GMAT scores.

I'll be starting my masters next year more than likely, but I don't have the option of traveling to schools out of my area unfortunately.. Good luck in your search..

Banned
    Greetings:

I would HIGHLY recommend CMU, home of CERT. I know a lot of people that have worked at CERT, and it was a VERY cool experience for them. A lot of the CERT guys and gals teach as well, so you'd be learning from some of the best. If you're smart enough, do well enough, and master the art of Analingus, you might even be able to sneak your way in.

Timothy Shimeall, one of the professors that designed their master's program and who was also a CERT man participated in a panel discussion with me that I was on a while back hosted by Dartmoth College. Talk about a HOOT. One of the few college professors that I've met in my life who didn't let the enclave of totalitarianism that he was sunk into get to him.

Michael Vatis, who at the time was the big wig at NIPC (National Infrastructure Protection Center), was also on the panel with us. Shimeall basically told him he was stupid about a dozen times, and that he was blowing cyber-smoke up people's asses. Gotta love it..........

Hi,

How about Purdue... They have a program for M.S in Information Assurance. Check that out at
    cerias.purdue.edu

MRG.

Thanks alot of the advice. I've looked at most of the universities you have pointed out and im applying to more than a few. I have this link that i think might be helpful for future reference

http://programs.gradschools.com/usa/...anagement.html

I was told by a college professor that CMU is overrated and that berkeley and Purdue are a much better choice. Any comments? Althought throughotu the time ive been interested and researching security everyone points out CMU

make sure you focus on *real world* and *hands on* experience. a lot of info sec guys have tons of *real world* skills. i might even go out on a limb and say - they have more *real world* skills than they do academic (or even people) skills for that matter! it all comes down to - can you *do* the work or can you just "talk the talk".
    More cowbell! We need more cowbell!
    http://www.geocities.com/secure_lockdown/
    - - -
    \"Is the firewall there to protect you from the outside world or is it there to protect the outside world from *YOU*?\"