How 2 b a network engineer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How 2 b a network engineer?

Banned

How 2 b a network engineer?

Okay, I have done A+, Network + marks on both are good and currently halfway thru on CCNA...don't have much knowledge on Unix ...trying to do meself but may b i have to take Linux+ or so... My ambition isto b a Nework engineer( Is security engineer diff.?) ..I was assuming security engineer as like advance or super network engineer ... I left my grad on computer science 4 some reason. Do I need to finish my graduation or the super courses like CCNA,MCSE,some C++ program and Unix related certification will do??

Dilema... I know we have so many emp or the ppl who have spent most of the career on networking or security. can any1 give me a descent advice thanks.... I forgot to add I have No experience at IT industry. Is that possible 2 b net-engineer directly?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I don't know really of anyone that became a Network Engineer right out of school. CCNA will help but like many you have to start at the ground floor. To get experience, you might want to start off by volunteering or getting in at the ground floor (grunt jobs is what I call them). You will tend to be overworked but you learn a lot. Check with your school and see if they need help, even if it's just running wires around.

I'm also going to suggest something that I think will help you in the long run: learn to write in proper english (or your own language). Constant usage of "IM" language or "leet" talk makes you look like you don't have a clue.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    Thanks for so fast reply ms mitten and great suggestion as always. LOl...I have a problem in english and the reason was to enter undergraduate I had to do math and english(compulsory) ...had no clue why wasn't there another subject instead of english. Is that the advantage of being bought up in english country...just an humour..no concern with my career.

Damn damn....Do I need to start from volunteer . Oh no..already have spent so much money

Damn damn....Do I need to start from volunteer . Oh no..already have spent so much money
    yeap. you do need experience to became someone on IT. and you must start fron bottom, like everybody else.

you cant imagine how lucky you are to be raised with "english" as native language. on IT, it counts a lot (i know because i barely write in english :P)

wellcome to IT jungle
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Hey Rajun ! ....

I shared the same kindda view that u have once. But when i became the system administrator of my college, my whole outlook on networking changed !. In Networking,the Theory and the Reality don't always get along well. I agree with the last post. Try to help out your school network. I did the same for a year and next thing you know .. they made me the administrator !!

PacKetThirst

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: How 2 b a network engineer?

Originally posted here by rajunpl
    I left my grad on computer science 4 some reason.
    I'm assuming you are in the UK.( If only from location flag) When you say you left your grad, what do you mean? School , University ? and if you want to be a network engineer, Why drop out (especially if you were at University) ? I'm confused by your post. Your comments would be appreciated
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

I think he means left as in I didn't change. He Left it as CS and didn't change it to networking.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by The Grunt
    I think he means left as in I didn't change. He Left it as CS and didn't change it to networking.
    Thanks, possibly misunderstood his post, but here in the UK, from my personal experience at University, it is not unusual or very difficult to change courses from within computing disciplines
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Banned
    jm459,

I went to geeenwich uni at maidstone kent. well ...now I am at all these certification courses. When I checked with one of my mate who is working as a net admin in london he said his boss is HND...my level where i am now ....and he quench around 60 grand... what's that...just he is lucky?

well it is good for u to be very ambitious but try to have focus on what u have in mind
    s a