CGI/Perl

Thread: CGI/Perl

CGI/Perl

Yes, Iím running Perl on Windows XP Home SP2.
    Apache2 too.

Just getting into CGI/Perl, and could use some help. I have everything setup and all. I need to use a different form of sendmail, since sendmail is exclusive to unix. Iíve looked, and heard I need a third-party module. Went to cpan to see what I can find, but was completely overwhelmed. Not only do I not know which will work for windows, but I donít know which would be adequate for my needs. On top of that, I have no idea how to install a module. Iíve looked at a few tutorials but either Iím stupid, or they arenít written well. I couldnít make any sense out of them. So to start, Id like some advice on where and what to download to use instead of sendmail. Then help on installing.

Banned
    Greetings:

Ok, you're headed down an ugly path. There is a version of sendmail for windows, along with some other command line apps that could be used as a replacement, but WHY? You're traveling the path of bad performance and convolution.

If you don't want to play with *nix and want to work with "CGI" and Apache on windows, might I suggest PHP? IMHO php is a lot more windows friendly than Perl is. Actually, as far as I'm concerned, PHP is in most cases a WAY better architecture for creating web apps than Perl is anyway, no matter what OS we're talking.

Since you're just starting out, I think you might find learning PHP to be a far more valuable asset to have in your toolbox than Perl. Try taking a few minutes to look into it, before you start dedicated yourself to learning a language.

Can PHP take forms and transfer that data to my email box?

Banned
    Greetings:

Certainly, the default PHP distro for windows can do that easily without having to download or compile any additional modules or third-party software.

Sounds good. I didnt particularly like the Perl language anyways.

Banned
    Greetings:

Best of luck to you on your new adventure.

I've always found that a lot of people can learn a new language best by studying actual example apps/scripts (once they have the basic understanding of the language down). I think you might find a site called HotScripts useful. It has tens of thousands of scripts that you can sort through.

And what do you know, they even have a section on PHP scripts that can be used as mail forms for your website! Perhaps you can find something there that you could adapt to your needs.