Thread: Firefox Problems

Question Firefox Problems

I've had Firefox for a few days and love it, but every so often pages are freezing and it's irritating because when you press Ctrl Alt and Delete and it says Not Responding for whatever reason ALL of the windows shut down, not just the one that's frozen, and it's really annoying.

So i just thought that with the Processor only being 500Mhz and the fact that i'm on WindowsMe, (I hate XP ) it's probably happening because IE is still running so many processes. I went to Hijack this and was about to get rid of the IE functions and was baffled when i saw that Firefox isn't even on there as a running process. I'm just wondering if you can help me out with this. I've had to persuade my brother to let me shut off the IE processes because he won't even use Firefox due to it freezing. I have faith in it though, and like it so i'm hoping to get this sussed.

Here's my log from Hijack this, can you tell me what i should get rid of if i just want to use Firefox? There's not that much here because i try and shut off what i don't need and keep the amount of RAM used to a minimum. (also, if there's other stuff hogging RAM i'd be chuffed if you could tell me what i don't need, or any spyware etc.)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CNXDSLTB.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\GENIUS NETSCROLL+ SERIES\GNETMOUS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
    C:\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = google
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {D848A3CA-0BFB-4DE0-BA9E-A57F0CCA1C13} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CnxDslTaskBar] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CnxDslTb.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE -startgui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mouseElf] C:\PROGRA~1\GENIUS~1\GNETMOUS.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SmcService] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_SRCV03.EXE
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.karoo.co.uk/
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/s...sh/swflash.cab

While i'm here, how do i clear the Java cache aswell?
    \"What is is not, what is not is - - if this is not yet clear to you, you\'re still far from the truth.\"

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    So i just thought that with the Processor only being 500Mhz and the fact that i'm on WindowsMe..
    500mhz is the lowest recommended requirement for Firefox, so it is pushing the usablity level-personally I would bet this is some of your problem. Windoze Me shouldn't be a problem at least according to Mozilla but I wouldn't throw out the possiblity.

requirements for Firefox::
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/fire...uirements.html

...happening because IE is still running so many processes.
    Yes because Internet Explorer is integrated with the OS and is needed to update Windows. And thats the major problem but thats irrelevent here. Make sure firefox is set to default browser and have your brother look at this::
    http://channels.lockergnome.com/news...explorer.phtml
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1624514,00.asp
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1619842,00.asp

As for the Hijack log, I don't see anything but let someone else look at that just to make sure. Do you have adaware? and also spybot updated?

edit**
    C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
    loadqm.exe is known to slow down the computer:::
    it is part of MSN Messenger; part of some sort of automatic updater service; i only call it dangerous because you will find programs suddenly not opening at all, or stopping in the middle of opening and hanging or,at best, taken a VERY long time to open. http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/pr...oadqm.exe.html
    http://www.infopackets.com/freenewsa...loadqm.exe.htm

Hi there and thanks for the links! I've just been telling my brother about them. Yeah i have Spybot and Ad-Aware, also Regseeker and Xen and haven't found anything strange lately so i guess i'll just have to clear out whatever i can to free up a bit of space, defrag aswell.

Thanks for the help, i'll maybe have to look into upgrading my processor.
    \"What is is not, what is not is - - if this is not yet clear to you, you\'re still far from the truth.\"

Lemme throw a few questions out there....

1. What version of Firefox?

2. The Processor, is it a Celeron?

3. Is this a default installation of Windows, or have you played with any settings?

4. Are your AV definitions up to date?

5. How does your firewall treat Firefox?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    so i guess i'll just have to clear out whatever i can to free up a bit of space, defrag aswell.
    There shouldn't be a reason to clear out your progs. HD space doesn't effect speed consumpstion to a notcieable level unless you have it almost full. I would try some other things before uninstalling such things. Look above in my last post- I added some stuff I found out that might free up some ram and has a history of causing problems. Defrag might help a bit, especially on older OSes, I don't notice it as much in xp though. Upgrading your processor- its up to you but your still in the safe range as below that is when it starts to have real problems. Also you might have problems finding processors for your computer, at least I did when I was messing around with my older computer.

BANNED
    If you want you could open your start menu and run msconfig. Go to the startup tab and hit disable all. Then just go through the list and check the things you want on at startup.
    Also I'm running a 400mhz and have absolutely no problem with firefox.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

I don't know how it will run now but i've gone into msconfig and stopped C-Media, Loadqm, SchedulingAgent and a couple of others down, (printer and something else.) so at least the computer should run a bit better.

I'm not sure what version of Firefox i have but i got the version that was linked to in a thread here somewhere a couple of days ago, the spread Firefox one. I'm using AMD-K6, i don't think it's celeron, that's a newer version isn't it? As for playing with the settings, all i usually do is disable system restore, i don't know what settings i could play around with apart from internet settings, and when i do that i usually mess something up, i should read up on it more. For instance, i hear about disabling the JVM but also that it can cause problems, so when it's things like that i leave it unless i know what i'm doing, i should find more time to learn about it.

The virus definitions are upto date as far as i know, i checked Ad-Aware and there wasn't anything, i'll check Spybot shortly. Sygate hasn't had any problems with it either, so i'm hoping that with less running processes it helps out a bit. The only way i can check on this that i know of is by clicking on help and then getting the system info up, right now it says that i have 25.02MB of available physical memory, the total is 191.5, so that's possibly where i get my problems from.

As soon as i get on the net the memory just goes, i guess it takes quite a bit to run it.

Also i found Kephyr.com where i can just type in the filename and learn about it so i should be a little wiser for that.

Anyway will let you know if i find out exactly what it was, or come across any crazy virus/spyware that's slowing me down, thanks again for all the help.

You might try getting the latest Java from Sun Microststems and disabling the MS Java that comes with win ME.

Also, set history to 0 days and disable java cacheing.

Firefox will run on a PII/266 with 128 Mb of EDO RAM! (WinME) but I do use a memory manager/defragmenter

Cheers

Wow that's so wierd. I just looked on the net how to do that (clearing java cache) after you suggested it and i went to tools and saw Javascript Console, is that it? Then you just click on clear?

I've never noticed it before, does it only appear when you select show hidden files and folders? I suppose that's one of the next things to read up on. I'd love to install Sun's JVM but i remember having problems last time, i'll give it another go though at some point, i was a TOTAL PC n00b back then so i might do it ok this time.

Firefox has been fine since anyway, i was joking that it was Microsoft attacking my computer to mess with my head, trying to make me go back to IE.

NEVEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!