Help with Kaspersky AV
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Kaspersky AV

Help with Kaspersky AV

How may i disable my Kaspersky antivirus temporarily? (ok, without disinstalling it...)

Banned
    Greetings:

It's been a looong time since I've looked at Kaspersky (it use to suck FYI and I'd imagine it probably still does). But if I remember correctly, it runs as a service like virtually all AVs do. Try setting the service to "manual" from "automatic" startup (then stop the service), then change it back to "automatic" when you're ready to run it again (and restart the service).

Right click on 'Kaspersky' icon in system tray and then disable real time protection.
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Banned
    Greetings:

Yeah, but if I remember, disabling it that way only stops the real time system scans, and not all virus scanning. You may still be scanning when you check/send e-mail, decompress files, plus any scheduled system scans etc. Stopping the service all together will prevent any of that from occurring.

Why exactly do you want to temporarily stop it anyway, out of curiosity?

Well, I would like to see how a different antivirus works on my PC without Kaspersky doing everything.

Banned
    Greetings:

See, I was afraid you were going to tell me that was the reason.

More than likely, you are going to start a battle of epic proportions on your computer. Even the AntiVirus companies themselves will tell you that installing any other AV on your system will cause problems.

As someone that's constantly evaluating security products, I would STRONGLY suggest installing each of them one at a time, and uninstalling before moving on to the next.

It is better to install VMWARE and install the operating system in it and then take a snapshot of the system and after that install antivirus and check the results. After that restore the snapshot and again install the other AV and check its results. I think this would be a better way to check different AVs.

Banned
    Greetings:

That seems like an awful lot of work for your average home user to be doing, simply to see what AV they like the best, don't you think?

Yes, but probably installing AV's one by one installing and uninstalling will be too messy. But, at the same time u r also right that this is a lot of work for average user.

Thanks

Thank you all for your insights... your feedback was much appreciated.