Need advice

Thread: Need advice

Need advice

I need to know your opinion.

1. Lets say my friend Fred downloaded MS Office 2003 illegally off the internet. Fred needed MS's help and long story short, needs to go to Start, Run, "msinfo32", and export all that information to a txt, and then deliever that to a MS professional. Keep in mind that some off this info has a section on the MS Office 2003, and could hint at Fred illegally downloaded it, instead of paying for it. Would MS press charges/throw him in jail? Some people say that MS wouldnt, because there are so many people like Fred, and that instead they would be going after the people that provided files like this.

2. Same as number 1, except now MS has Freds first and last name, IP address, and email that his parents are paying for (comcast.net email).

And the help Fred is looking for is on a game he paid for legally. He isnt looking for help on the program he illegally downloaded.
    This MS Pro works directly for MS by the way.
    Please keep in mind they are seperate questions.

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Need advice

Originally posted here by philman213
    I need to know your opinion.
    My opinion: What a load of **** for a Saturday night

OK, sorry I am pissed & confused at present, I could be wrong. Please would a sensible person answer philman's question.
    Thank you and G'nite
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

i think it depends on the country you live in.
    example:
    in my country it isn't illegal to download illegal music, it only is illegal to distribute it. i'm not sure if this goes for software too, but i doubt M$ will give this guy a hard time.

but like i said, it depends on the country i think.

ASAIK - There is no way MS can tell that your program is using a pirated serial number. Since you don't really have to register with them online, and give proof of identification. The stuff from "msinfo32" just gives info on your computer, doesn't mention serial numbers. So you should be safe.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy
    CooLL.Net

Okay, thanks all for your help.

Billy Gates is gonna hunt you down and burn you at the stake with he's uber leetness, those that steal from the almighty Billy will be burnt at the stake.
    Kinda like the KKK but instead the gangs white and they all resemble there almighty leader Billy Boy, and they were these funny robes with a even stranger symbol on them.

Anyhow all seriousness though your friend Fred needs to be shot for downloading a ripped copy of the program. And i would be very suprised if MS didn't come after him and nail he's arse to the wall..

f2b:.

Surely the simplest solution would be to uninstall the illegal software.

I don't quite understand why he needs to go to Microsoft anyway..............surely the game manufacturer is the right source of help?

just a thought

Game manufacturor is MS. Problem solved though, thanks anyway.