Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dos Os

Dos Os

I am taking a class on Dos. I am haveing some trouble when i Dir the c: it doesnt show me program files for some reason and when I try to pull something up in dos like lets say the calculator it wont open it. Now i am under a user name without admin. access but i dont think that should matter. My C Prompt displays C:\ docume`1\briz. Is that right? Can anybody help

Is ther a way to that dos can show me the correct syntax to open things like word or calculator?

Also I read the tuts on ao for dos but it still didnt help.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    You are functioning as a limited user and as such there are things you aren't allowed to see. If it is allowed ask for admin access and you will see everything there is to see.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Well one question would be, are you in the right directory where prgrams are stored?

cd directory

Use that and find the directory where the applications are.

If it scrolls to fast and takes up the whole screen so you can't see the top, try this:

dir /p

That will pause it every screen.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do exactly, dir shows whatever is in the directory you're currently in.

What version of DOS are you using?

Gore:

He's in Win2k or better by the sound since he starts in "Documents and Settings\....."

Thus it's a rights issue IMO.
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Ahhh, didn't really read where he started, just read the question part.

Windows 2000 is not a true DOS, so everything doesn't work the same.

So Tiger how is you this fine day?

Shoot me a PM so I can tell you something later when I get home from my crappy class tonight

I am not sure of the version bit it is a brand new box so i guess its the newest.

I do have another drive D:\ but it is designed for "system recovery." So i think i am in the right drive i just learned the command TYPE so what I DIR the C:\ i do see windows directory but when i type "TYPE windows" it come up access denied.

So maybe tiger is right. But i wouldnt think that because i am not the Administrator I wouldnt be able to access Word. I would think that I could.

Access Denied means you are on an NTFS drive which means you are on Win2k or XP.

You can still play with the command prompt, (it technically isn't DOS any more), and do most, if not everything, it can do, the only issue is that your "environment is limited to where the administrator allows you to go.

Is it possible to Print the Dos screen?

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ok, you're on the admin account, and at C prompt. Do cd.. until you get to c:\ (root) - then dir /w. This will show you the files and dirs from root in a windowed format - find program files - it'll probably be appended since your desktop was - so it'll look like progra~f or something similar. CD to it. *poof* you're in program files.

Luck to you.

[edit] Yes, it's possible to print the dos screen - dir | textfile.txt, then print from windows is the simplest way. [/edit]

[moreedit] Yeesh. the more I read this the more I see - by 'type windows' are you trying to use the 'type' command, or are you trying to execute windows the program? - If type command, be advised it only works on progs and files, not dirs - if you're trying to cause win to execute - you can't from the command prompt within windows, try typing 'exit' instead. [/moreedit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Can I ask why you are wanting to run these apps from a DOS prompt? Wouldn't it be much easier to just select these programs from windows? Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to sound like an as* or anything I am just curious why you want to know this. I would suggest finding an old box and install DOS 6.22 (one of micrsoft's old OSs) and learn DOS for real. A CMD (command) window inside of a win 2k or XP box is a very limited reference to learn the good ol DOS.

I remember the day.......

I can truely relate to this topic.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?