Thread: Why AV must do ........

Why AV must do ........

I have some quiestions about how AntiVirus Software works.

Most of AVs likes to be registred as Service, but why?
    //I know that it is the best startup way with windows

I want to know which AV can be installed without registrering of services and work as standard scanner without realtime protection.

I want to run more then one AV on my PC.

I have right now Avast and DrWeb installed on my conputer and thay works good. But Which more AV is possible to use like this?
    // too far away outside of limit

Just Another Geek
    Most of AVs likes to be registred as Service, but why?
    So they can do their job even when nobody is logged on.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Well,

I have right now Avast and DrWeb installed on my conputer and thay works good. But Which more AV is possible to use like this?
    AVG (Grisoft) or any similar "traditional AV". By that I mean that the multifunctional products Like Norton, McAfee and PC-Cillin aill probably cause problems.

I would recommend that you use the online scanners from PC-Cillin and Panda as an alternative.

Just a thought

your best bet would be to go to ControlPanel\AdministrativeTools\services and change the settings from automatic to manual for any AV you install

or hklm\system\ControlSet001\Services and remove the entries after you export them.

if you install multiple AVs it might be wise to exclude the others av folders from being scanned so you dont distroy the definitions
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Some AVs cannot work if services is not running
    // too far away outside of limit

True, some (A lot) of desktop/server based AV will not work if the service is not loaded.
    I am guessing that you are running under a version of Windows as an OS.

The reason is because as a service it can be assigned different rights then the User logged on. So it can proform scans on items that the user may not have rights to, such as OS files. Also so it can lock items that are in use. As a part of the OS, or service, the AV has access to areas that may or may not be available to the user, and also it has the ability to move/delete/scan/etc files that generic log ons cant.

This is an over simplification, but I think you get the idea

~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

All good stuff, here is a possible workaround that I use:

1. Get WinPatrol from BillP Studios and install it.

2. Get AVG (Grisoft) and install it normally.

3. Go into WinPatrol and the startup tab.

4. Disable AVG from starting.

5. Run AVG, it will warn you that its control console is disabled, double click on the control console button.

6. It will now load the services that it requires and run normally.

You will have to experiment with other AV products, but the principle should be the same.

Cheers