Thread: NIC question

NIC question

As I go through my book on the ethernet chapter, it always says that bridge or the layer 2 devices sends the data to the specific destination...How could be this possible? As we all know we don't send data specifically to the computer on the LAN ...we just map the drive on P2P networking case , and give reuired permission on the client-server network..

why the heck I am always reading layer 2 device send data to specific computer....?

are there any answers? thnx in advance.

Re: NIC question

As we all know we don't send data specifically to the computer on the LAN ...we just map the drive on P2P networking case , and give reuired permission on the client-server network..
    What do we all know?

why the heck I am always reading layer 2 device send data to specific computer....?
    The OSI model is simply a layout of how an email moves down to light/charge moving across a cable and back up to an email on the other side.

The data link layer is on the low end of the process:

http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/OSI_Layers.asp
    Data Link, Layer 2:

At this layer, data packets are encoded and decoded into bits. It furnishes transmission protocol knowledge and management and handles errors in the physical layer, flow control and frame synchronization. The data link layer is divided into two sublayers: The Media Access Control (MAC) layer and the Logical Link Control (LLC) layer. The MAC sublayer controls how a computer on the network gains access to the data and permission to transmit it. The LLC layer controls frame synchronization, flow control and error checking.
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

Thanks hiddeninclouds, but i was confused by the term 'layer 2' send the data to specific computer. that's it. I was even more confused when i read it everywhere.

Re: NIC question

This quote is from my book.

On an Ethernet network, when one device sends data it can open a communication pathway to the other device by using the destination MAC address. The source device attaches a header with the MAC address of the intended destination and sends data onto the network. As this data propagates along the network media the NIC in each device on the network checks to see if the MAC address matches the physical destination address carried by the data frame. If there is no match, the NIC discards the data frame. When the data reaches the destination node, the NIC makes a copy and passes the frame up the OSI layers. On an Ethernet network, all nodes must examine the MAC header even if the communicating nodes are side by side
    this is the statement i was confused at. I don't think any computer on the LAN send data to specific computer ..but broadcast to all.
    So that must b theorritical non-sense, which cannot be implemented.

any scholar??