Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chip and PIN

I thought with smart cards it depended on whether the lockbits where blow to whether it could be programmed or not, I thought they were effectivly a microprocessor core inside these things, the chip and pin cards will of course have an lock bits blown.

The issue the papers brought up this weekend was that if the person with malicous intent can snoop on the owner and find the chip and pins pin before he steals it, itll be increasingly hard to prove whether transactions made are fradualent.

The reverse engineering of the chip and pin card isnt viable, so its likely that cloning will not be an issue.

However an interesting issue raised in the paper was the fact that there is no standadization between countrys so its likely that american cards will end up in this country and british cards will end up in the states to be used for fraudulent activity

i2c

Originally posted here by i2c
    I thought with smart cards it depended on whether the lockbits where blow to whether it could be programmed or not, I thought they were effectivly a microprocessor core inside these things, the chip and pin cards will of course have an lock bits blown.

The issue the papers brought up this weekend was that if the person with malicous intent can snoop on the owner and find the chip and pins pin before he steals it, itll be increasingly hard to prove whether transactions made are fradualent.

The reverse engineering of the chip and pin card isnt viable, so its likely that cloning will not be an issue.

However an interesting issue raised in the paper was the fact that there is no standadization between countrys so its likely that american cards will end up in this country and british cards will end up in the states to be used for fraudulent activity

i2c
    http://www.ftp.cl.cam.ac.uk/ftp/user.../faultpap3.pdf
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/ftp/users/rja14/SISW02.pdf