Thread: Secure Installation question

Secure Installation question

I have a question concerning a recent installation of a file, in relation to a secure administrated system. The system has parameters setup on it that restricts installation of programs, and other files, typical of an administrator. The question is, that I was easily able to install Winrar on the system with no problems, because I changed the directory on it. Why could I install rar but nothing else?

Just Another Geek
    It kind of depends on the installer and/or the software itself. Some installers want to write to registrykeys/directories that would be locked out. Some don't. Sometimes software doesn't even have to be installed. A simple drag 'n drop will suffice.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I undertstand. Thanks for the quick and self explanatory reply. I was wondering that same thing that you just wrote. I figure that it must be some 3rd party application that I can use to manually configure an installation based on my specifications. Is there any program of this sort available?

Just Another Geek
    I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.

Installshield is the most widely used I believe.

http://www.installshield.com/
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I'm sorry. Yes, you understood incorrectly. I meant was there any program that could actually go into an assembled install shield file, that would manually allow the user to extract specific parts of the file.

If I understand your post correctly, your wanting to install software on a system that you don't have admin access to, right?

Like SirDice said in his reply, your success is going to depend on the software and the setup of the system your trying to install on. If the program requires registery values to be query'd, modified or created that you don't have access to...it's going to fail. If you don't have write access on the directory your installing to...It will fail. If your just wanted to install specific files from the installshield package, I would just install that on your own system or one you have proper privileges on, and copy the files to floppy. There are a lot of variables here to think about.

I understand. I already had grown to know as much as that overtime. I got it.

I meant was there any program that could actually go into an assembled install shield file, that would manually allow the user to extract specific parts of the file.
    None that you would want Install Shield packages are supposed to be complete in themselves. OK you can provide setup options, but it is not intended to support incomplete installations that would fail.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to do, but I suspect that you might be looking in the wrong place.

Install shield is pretty low level. Take a look at the CD on the front of a PC magazine............it has all sorts of freeware, trial software, patches and files. The user selects the bits they want, then install shield or whatever takes over and does it. You frequently have to reboot between each item.

There is software that will let you build this sort of CD look on google for "applications distribution software", "applications distribution tools" and "software distribution tools" etc.

There are more elegant tools that let you script the software rollout. This could allow selection, AUTOMATIC re-booting, logging inj with appropriate authority etc. Try searching for "unattended software installation" I have used that sort of software in the past for distributions on sites without central management software.

Hope that helps

nihil---"blah blah blah etc etc."
    Thanks nihil, that was exactly the information that I was looking for.