Thread: Just a dumb question..

Just a dumb question..

Well i'm fixing up a Box for a mate, and he's stuck on dialup, anyhow the question is.
    Is it possible to code a small app with either Qbasic or VB to automatically redial in once he's 5 hour limit cut's him off.
    And if so then anyone know any handy links for more info cause i've tried googling a bit and keep coming up with irrelivent info..
    Any and all help, ideas, info will be greatly appreciated.

And the reason why he wants this is because he's gotta be able to gain access to he's Box while at work, so i thought it would help him out a bit as he isn't ready to take the step to Broadband as of yet.

Fr0nTy

from google: http://www.vbip.com/forum/topic.asp?id=2369

is that you need?
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Re: Just a dumb question..

Originally posted here by .:front2back:.
    Well i'm fixing up a Box for a mate, and he's stuck on dialup, anyhow the question is.
    Is it possible to code a small app with either Qbasic or VB to automatically redial in once he's 5 hour limit cut's him off.
    Why not click the "automatically re-connect on disconnection" type tick box that DUN offers (unless it's not DUN)?
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Why not click the "automatically re-connect on disconnection" type tick box that DUN offers (unless it's not DUN)?
    I've checked for the tick box in he's internet settings, and dial up options but there is nothing like that available..
    The most that happens is that when he's 5 hour limit is up, a box appears saying would you like to reconnect or stay disconnected, there's no count down box or nothing so you have to manually click either option.

What i would like to do is as soon as it disconnects then some program would kick in and automatically use he's credentials i.e: username, password, number to dial and automatically redial in to he's provider..

from google: http://www.vbip.com/forum/topic.asp?id=2369

is that you need?
    cacosapo that is similar to what i'm looking for, but i tried it and when the connection was disconnected nothing kicked in and automatically redialed him in, i had to manually start the program..
    But it's given me something to work on, but if there's something else that i could use then that would be helpful aswell..

Fr0nTy

Oh and sorry for taking so long getting back to your responses, i've got a heap of backed up work so it's taking me a bit to get back to each thing..

Depending on your VB coding knowledge (And the amount of time you have) you might try making a custom app. There's probally a hundred different ways to do this, but why not try...

Run your program in the background
    Use the timer in VB to pool active windows (say every minute or so)
    If the current active window = the reconnect dialog box you mentioned earler then call the activate button to reconnect.

Pretty simple, if you know how to code with the WIN32 API.

Your gonna have to find a way to identify the reconnect dialog box though. You could maybe do this using the window caption or the window handle (It will change if the computer is restarted so your probally better of using the first method). You'll have to identify the right button to activate to (Do this using it's caption or hWnd, too)...The rest is just around 20 lines of code and small details.

If your sitting there wondering what the hell i'm talking about...Your probally better off using google to find something that's already made...