Thread: Third Of Americans Think Viruses Won't Strike Them

AO French Antique News Whore

Third Of Americans Think Viruses Won't Strike Them

About one in three Americans think it's more likely they'll be audited by the IRS or win the lottery than fall victim to a virus or worm, the non-profit National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) said Friday as it released the results of a September survey.
    Younger computer users are even more sanguine about their chances: 40 percent of those under 25 think they'll get struck by lightning before malicious code hits their PC.

The NCSA, a group that includes the federal government's Department of Homeland Security Cisco, Dell, Symantec, and eBay among its sponsors, is using the poll to highlight October as "National Cyber Security Awareness Month." The educational effort, which actually kicks off Monday, October 4, is backed by the NCSA's Web site.

"More than 185 million Americans own computers connected to the Internet," said Ken Watson, the chairman of NCSA, in a statement. "Cyber security should become second nature, just like brushing our teeth."

The organization's poll makes it look like Americans don't agree.

"I guess I'd have to say get struck by lightning, 'cause those other things just ain't going to happen to me," said one survey respondent when asked about the probability of a computer security or privacy breach, IRS audit, lottery win, or lightning strike.

Numbers say different. According to the NCSA, the odds of being hit by lightning are approximately one in 294,330,406. The odds of ending up on the wrong end of a worm, virus, or privacy breach, however, are 7 in 10.

NCSA is currently conducting a more in-depth and scientific study in conjunction with America Online, and will release the results of the in-home research -- which will include both a survey and a technical examination
    Source : http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/49400161

I really think the education system must include security class from now on!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    That's probably because they are ALREADY owned, and the 'new' nasty stuff cannot get through..............
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

AOs Resident Troll
    That's probably because they are ALREADY owned, and the 'new' nasty stuff cannot get through..............
    Too funny!!!

I have worked on so many home machines....user doesnt run AV cause
    "I never open attachments"

I needed a laugh today.

Thanks

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Question That's A Good Survey Sample ...

NCSA is currently conducting a more in-depth and scientific study in conjunction with America Online, and will release the results of the in-home research -- which will include both a survey and a technical examination.
    Not!!

I mean, come on as if AOL users are generally known for being security conscious?

Me thinks the survey results will not be un-biased! lol
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

Ignorance is bliss???

It's more likely that 1 in 3 of those people are already infected with half a dozen sploits.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Gawd,
    That is just plain sad.
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

Hoopy Frood
    That's just sad. I've recently become sort of the "tech guy" on campus who sets up and "fixes" people's internet. Most of them don't run AV at all and 10 to 1 says none of them run Windows Updates but once every six months if at all.

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

I have worked on so many home machines....user doesnt run AV cause
    "I never open attachments"
    Hey, I don't have an AV but it isn't because I don't open attachments but because I wanna get infected to obligate my brother into formatting besides, I don't worry much about virus/worms after all...it's just a computer right?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

AO French Antique News Whore
    Originally posted here by Raion
    Hey, I don't have an AV but it isn't because I don't open attachments but because I wanna get infected to obligate my brother into formatting besides, I don't worry much about virus/worms after all...it's just a computer right?
    Keep thinking like that! You are a gold mine for me!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

AOs Resident Troll
    Keep thinking like that! You are a gold mine for me!
    Me too!!!

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer