Thread: program for really formating hard drive

program for really formating hard drive

Hello, about 8 months ago I searched AO and found info about a program for deleting your hard drive, thing is I do not remember the name. I have searched again but haven't been able to find it. This is what I remeber from using the program see if this sounds familiar to anybody:

This prog was to be copied with rawrite to a floppy. You booted your computer with this floppy and entered the program in which you could choose the number of passes with random data that should be applied to your hard drive. I specifically remember that the highest number of passes was 25 and the prog claimed that not even the NSA could recover data from this operation.

I used this program succesfully on two of my computers but I lost the floppy and I need it again.
    Any help finding this program would be appreciated.

cheers,

J

Not sure if this is what you want.

I'm not sure if this is the program you want but it sounds pretty close to your specs.
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

They claim it surpasses Department of Defense data deletion specifications.

Hope this helps

johnnymier

Well the only way to make sure the data on a hdd can never be recovered is to completely vaporize the hdd, or turn it into ash, powder, etc. You get the idea. However for home use these should be more than adequate.

Clean Disk Security (shareware)
    You can download it here:

BCwipe (free)

Cyberscrub (15day trial)

cheers

edit: Googa Mooga already mentioned the "eraser" so I deleted it from the list.
    Connection refused, try again later.

Old Fart
    Active@ KillDisk conforms to US Department of Defense clearing and sanitizing standard DoD 5220.22-M.

Get it here.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Finally found it, its called AutoClave http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=243713

I have never used eraser, if you have used AutoClave and eraser, please tell me your opinions.

Cheers,

J

Blast From the Past
    powermax my maxtor is a nice one...tests your maxtor hdd for errors and provides low level format....every micron of that disk will be 0's...not getting any info from that one
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Can this programs (eraser, autoclave, etc) be used to clean a single partition and not the whole drive?

cheers

-j

I think the manifactors of HDD never recomend low level formating.
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.