Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can a virus change the BIOS?

Actually, going back to the orginal posted question, there were reports from MessageLabs of several versions of Netsky and Bagle that had code that could be used to alter/destroy your Bios, yet was not enabled (or didnt operate correctly).

Fdisk /MBR works everytime

Princesheril: Yeah... I will send a attachment via email you need to open... ok?
    Sigh....
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

I believe that the "Magistr" virus also trashed the BIOS in some instances.

Once you have your problem sorted out I would suggest you check your BIOS and see if it supports MBR protection. If it does I would turn it on.

You sound as if you do not have a firewall? you should get one. The logs should show you if you are getting a bot attack.

If you use cable to connect to the internet, you should consider contacting your ISP and getting your IP address changed.

just a few thoughts

somehow erase ur MBR and recreate it using any tool like fdisk.. Generally the viruses targetting MBR exhibit the behaviour of the system as told by u

I do not have a static IP address so i reckon i should ring my ISP and get it changed but i was thinking that it couldnt be a bot as when i re formated C: and installed the O/S the virus was reckognised again as soon as i installed norton. This is why i think it has to be a virus in the BIOS. Im at college at the moment but as soon as i get home i will try fdisk MBR and see what happens. Also BAGLE rings a bell, i swear that this was one of the virus's that i have deleted ijn the past.

one more thing, i do have a firewall! two of them!
    The more you know, the less you understand!