Thread: a hacker ????

a hacker ????

what according to you must be the course naterial for a course in computer hacking engineering?

if i understand your question correctly, you want to know what a hacker education should all have?

well, you can't be educated like that, although some companies try: Certified Ethical Hacker.

the main problem is that REAL hacking involves a lot more then can be thought at school.
    the different subjects vary so much, the way of thinking can not be thought, the perserverance (correct spelling?) can not be thought as well as the eager to information.

So i doubt there will be a course which will be useful.
    of course they can cover the subjects of basic knowledge: tcp/ip, the way that the computer itself works (like registers, memory usage etc.), webapplications, programming in general, networking audits. social engineering etc. etc. etc. the list goes on almost endless.
    but still the eager to learn, the way of thinking and the will to succeed can't be thought, and these are the quality of most importance.

anyone can simply learn something by head, but to use, alter, understand and go past this knowledge is the biggest challenge!
    hope this helps a bit

Just Another Geek
    Why don't you take a course in securing?

We don't "hack", we secure!
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

As lepricaun said, Hacking cannot be taught.
    There are courses offered by eccouncil.org, sans.org and other well known instiutes in CEH or security which covers most of the topics required for a hacker.

But real experience is what makes you a real hacker?
    There are very great people in this forum who will guide you in good ways.

good luck.

Arrow Your Question Is A Tad Non-Specific ...

by that I mean your question is too general.

Hacking is a word that is often interpretted differently by individuals. So much so, that I tend to shy away from it. So it would be useful to know exactly what you mean by hacker especially as you mention computer engineering.

I believe the term hacker came from the noise keys made when typing fast on keyboards of years gone by, and this is the interpretation I favour.

The popular interpretation, commonly used by the press in an ill-informed sensationalist manner, is of a computer criminal.

Please re-phrase your question. If English is not your first language post in the language that is, as well as English. - Remember this is an international community, someone else may speak the same language and be better positioned to answer your question.
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

Just Another Geek
    http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Di...*&Query=hacker

I'm more a 1 to 5 (from the Jargon file) kind of guy. Most of us here are.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Thumbs up I Would Concurr SirDice ...

those fit in with how I perceive a hacker to be!

My description was a little lacking as a definition. Then, it wasn't intended to be definitive, but a reference to where the term originated.

The hacking sound of old keyboards were often made enthusiatically by people matching the descriptions you so kindly pointed out in that link.

I'm no historian! lol
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=D...mp;Query=hacker

I'm more a 1 to 5 (from the Jargon file) kind of guy. Most of us here are.
    1-7 is more my way to go

i see a hacker a a good thing, someone willing to do all he can to get something done, someone who is always exploring the limits of something and is trying to (re)move those limits.

BUT also someone who knows what he is capable of and as the famous sentence:
    "with great power comes great responsibility".

(sounds kinda like spiderman, doesn't it )

well, at least nothing destructive against something someone else has created with a lot of efford.

Now this thread is turning into a what is a hacker thread, and i start to doubt if the starter wanted this

here's also a nice explanation of the term "hacker".