Thread: antivirus software

antivirus software

I recently installed Red Hat 9 and Gnome as my desktop. Im now curious as to what would be some decent Anti-virus software, spyware for Linux platforms. Feel free to post your personal opinions

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Uh... don't really need either. Spyware hasn't been an issue for Linux (because of the way that Mozilla/Netscape et al. operate). Anything that attempts to install from the web via an .xpi requires permission usually and a popup will ask you if you want to install it. IIRC, there is only one known spyware for Mozilla.

ClamAV has been getting fair attention here at AO so that might be one to try. I personally haven't put an AV on my Slack box yet (or my FreeBSD box) as I don't know if it is really worth it at this point in time. There are a few viruses out there for Linux but they tend to be distro specific.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Computer Forensics
    Saw these guys at Linuxworld...pretty cool stuff. IMO the purpose of *nix AV is to protect your windows users when they access a *nix box via samba or other method..

http://www.centralcommand.com/index.html
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Here is a free one:

http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/d...php?menu_id=21

IMO the purpose of *nix AV is to protect your windows users when they access a *nix box via samba or other method..
    I think hogfly is right on target with that comment.As MsM pointed out there isn't much of an issue with *nix, but I suppose it is a good idea to stop yourself "passing anything on" to your Windows friends.