Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dutch government sites offline

Senior since the 3 dot era

Dutch government sites offline

The Netherlands have trouble with some DDOS attackson their government servers.
    The websites like for example regering.nl are due to distributed denail of service attacks difficult ro reach. Also some corporate sites (operaters) are down due to this large scale attack.

OXIFE October 5, 2004
    The sites regering.nl - kabinet.nl and probably some others experienced the effect of a DDOS. This is what FOK.nl says. What FOK.nl is also saying is that the "hackersgroup" 0x1fe launched the attack.

Ofcourse we have nothing to do with the attack, but we think that the people launching this attack are a few people from our IRC channel, they think they are a part of 0x1fe and used our name.

Though we like the free promotion..
    It's almost for sure that people from the IRC channel used botnets with about 180.000 computers, a lot from university labs, meaning high speed internet connections.
    The reason for this attack is disagreement with the policy. The attack is planned to be continued until saterday.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The reason for this attack is disagreement with the policy.

Errr... what policy?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

errr... general policies of their governement. The line of policy, not a certain thing 'an sich'.

There have been some major (regular) demonstrations against the policys of our government (mostly about the breakdown of our social security stuff, early retirement, but there are a lot of reasons).
    These DDoS attacks started on monday (iirc).
    According to the_JinX some people on geenstijl.nl posted information about one of these attackers and as a result got DDoSed also (they are back online though).
    I have seen some information about the identify of one of the attackers circulating on the net, however, this information got removed again.

I think this is a very counter productive way of 'protesting' since it does not hurt the government but the people that try to keep a critical eye on the government and need the information posted on the mentioned site(s).
    And imo DDoSing is lame by definition.
    I hope they get caught soon but with such large botnets it will prolly be a hell of a job to track the guilty ones down.

I really feel stupid! i'm from the netherlands, i haven't heared about this!
    maybe because i have been making a lot of hours at work the last couple of days, but it isn't so big that they tell it in the news (or at least i haven't heared about it).

i think i'm going to visit some dutch forums to see if i can find out more about it...

but yes, DOS-ing is LAME!
    in no way it has anything to do with hacking, it's simple skiddie stuff

(secretely hoping they read this and let me know why they are so childish ).

I'm from Belgium and heared on some sites that there was something going on. People using botnets in DdoS attacks against the dutch governement sites. the 0x1fe crew was linked to it but claimed to have nothing to do with it, although their IRC channel is named too.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    the 0x1fe crew was linked to it but claimed to have nothing to do with it, although their IRC channel is named too.
    Unless there is empirical proof, it's all heresay. There's nothing that is concrete to identify them to this if all the evidence is "linking" and naming an irc channel. Tis all assumption.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

it was on the radio, and some news sites (hey lepricaun, dont you read nu.nl at work? ) but it happend a couple of days after there was a, by dutch standards, big protest against the government.

let's say who ever was responsible for this action, was true about their motivation (protest against government), shouldn't it be called hacktivism? They timed it pretty wel, and i've never heard of such an attack here. ofcourse DDOS'ing is a lame way to point out your opinion but it does get noticed by a lot of people, especially when this is allready a big media issue.

maybe nice to add to this line of news; what about the dutch prosecutor, who dumped his computer full of sensitive, work related, data because he thought all was destroyed by a virus

sometimes it's great to live here..
    The Stranger: Do you have to use so many cuss words?
    The Dude: What the **** you talking about?

Helped out on some info
    http://www.rasnerd.nl/index2.htm (dutch)

I did see some transcripts of the "kiddies" bragging about their acheivements and also controlling the bots..
    A couple of friends of mine went into their irc (found after getting the strings from one of the worms)
    Didn't want to incriminate myselve by going to their irc myself.. (yeah, I'm a pussy)

Don't know if they (the kiddies) got cought though..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Jinx, interesting site specialy the interview with the so called spokesman of 0x1fe.
    They Ddos a site, next, an attackers identity is posted on a weblog and next a weblog Ddos war develops, resulting in complete hosting providers being offline... 190.000 boxes to play with is a nasty Ddos tool.