Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System32\cmd.exe

System32\cmd.exe

I am running Windows XP and when I bootup I get a menu "C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe". I use both Spyware Blaster and Spyware Stormer and have run both programs but the menu keeps coming up. I don't have any problems because of this but would like to get rid of it. How do I go about doing this. Thank you.

its a virus...use an anti virus...I believe symantecs online one will pick it up. and you dont THINK its causing problems...look in you task manager and see if ftp.exe was started lol
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Check msconfig [Startup]?

go into your registry. Regedit

locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Look for anything fishy.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Run Msconfig if you use XP, It'll show you ALL program that will start at boot because Windows use more that one registry key to open program.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

wtf ? And here i though cmd.exe was the command prompt in windows xp....i mean, here i know that cmd is the command prompt in win xp
    O.G at A.O

Hey Hey,

I'm not too sure why virus was immediately mentioned... because as ©opy®ight said.. it's the NT-based command line. SDK had a good suggestion, however I've learned recently that msconfig doesn't include the RunServices and RunServicesOnce registry keys... which are places where I've found a few viruses and malware to hide... I'm guessing it's not a menu, but Window.... black with white text.. and it says "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" on the top... this is just the CLI in any NT-Based OS (as I stated above and ©opy®ight also mentioned). A better question to ask would be what text is displayed in the window or is it simply a pure black screen... That text could lead us to an answer... It sounds to me like something is callign your CLI on startup... MSConfig is a good start to finding a solution... If there is any text, let us know and we may be able to point you in the right direction... The only time I've seen the CLI open on start-up.... other than when cmd.exe was a startup entry somewhere.... was when a console virus was going to run but got an error because of corrupted files and the window locked open... Did you get any errors about a 16-bit subsystem popping up?

Peace,
    HT

First off, the menu I get is as you questioned "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" and with the black screen showing " C:\" only. I must admit, most of these responses are commenting on things I know nothing about I am obviously not very computer savy. Not sure where to go from here. The comment check for fishy entries in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
    entVersion\Run" I afraid I wouldn't know a fishy entry if I saw one, sorry. Appreciate all the help though just hope I can get this thing corrected.

Well we can help you out in spotting fishy entries. Go to this website

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

Download Hijackthis-->Open it-->Scan-->copy report-->paste it on here

So hopefully we can be of help...

Maybe an even simpler approach: It might be, that this cmd-shell is executed
    (to do whatever) in the StartUp (Start.All Programs.StartUp) by some
    batch-job.
    Check Start.All Programs.StartUp by right-clicking on every-entry with a
    black-icon (and a tiny "c:\" ). In the context-menu, there is in addition to OPEN also an EDIT,
    click EDIT and copy-paste the content here.

If there is nothing, you can try the other approaches.

I hope, you have nothing sensitive there.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)