hd formatting and partitioning?

Thread: hd formatting and partitioning?

hd formatting and partitioning?

im trying to re-install windows after my failed attempt at running slackware and i have a question: i used cfdisk to remove all of my partitions, but when i start the computer up lilo still loads(and has an error cuz the kernel isnt there). why is lilo stil there, i thought it would be gone? does the boot sector not get erased when you format? im not sure if i what i did was actuall formatting or just repartitioning... most of the sites i see use the words interchangeably like they're the same thing. how can i get rid of lilo?

perhaps you can try Ranish:

http://www.ranish.com/part/

to remove all part's and re-create MBR. make sure to set active part.

i always find it very easy to use and effective. much more so than others.

regards
    More cowbell! We need more cowbell!
    http://www.geocities.com/secure_lockdown/
    - - -
    \"Is the firewall there to protect you from the outside world or is it there to protect the outside world from *YOU*?\"

you woulda installed it to the mbr .. you should be able to insert the windows cd and make sure the boot order is set to boot from cd .... it should be fine from there

would formatting clear the mbr? i just put a recovery boot disk in with an image of winxp home on it and it formatted the drive and unpacked the image... it seems to be fine

Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    it may be easier just to insert the Xp boot disc and go to the recovery console.

type: fix boot [enter]
    then: fix mbr [enter]

this should resolve any problems and if it doesnt work, try the commands in a reverse order, cause i cant remember which but it does depend on the problem and area of the HDD as to the order.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein