Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: copy/ paste

copy/ paste

hi, need some help in finding a solution to this....(pl correct me if this is not the right forum to bring up this topic) it starts happening sometimes without any triggers (or so it seems) and it happens irrespective of Win OS, i know only about win os,issue is that one is not able to paste text after copying from one application to another.... say copying from notepad and pasting to some 'form' in IE or in a word document, clearing cache, temp files never helps nor does clearing clipboard or clearing most recently used items list help, the only way out is to restart the computer, any tip for resolving this without restarting the computer!?
    keep smilling

any ideas!?... i know reproducing the issue is a bit difficult , thats y there is no response to my query...... however any inputs are welcome....
    keep smilling

may be this one is a bit clear....

i'm not able to paste text after copying from notepad to a word document, as a matter of fact not able to copy/ paste from any application to another........ troubleshooting steps that i've tried are clearing cache, temp files, clearing clipboard, clearing most recently used items list, the only way out is to restart the computer....

this happens ramdomly and on most of the computers in the office

hope this helps
    keep smilling

Hi,

Is this when you are on the network (file/application servers) or is it when you are using local applications on the local machines?

Have you scanned the machines for viruses, adware and spyware?

What Windows OSes is this happening on?

Cheers

local applications on local machines.....
    mostly on win2000 sometimes in XP, its very random and not very common....
    our IT dept takes care of any spywares or viruses, and they do that regularly, i guess we can trust them ...
    i switched jobs, it happened in my previous office and it happens in my new office also (seems like issue is going alongwith me lol.... issue is not serious however its an inconvenience for the user to restart the computer) if we are able to reproduce the issue may be we can find a solution....
    keep smilling

Hmmm,

It is a symptom of some variants of the Blaster virus sometimes. So it might be worth getting your IT people to run the PC-Cillin and Panda Software online scanners on a machine that has had the problem.

What language/script are you using? Some characters in Japanese for example, can cause this problem (yes, I know Bangalore is not in Japan)

It might also be a problem with the clipboard.........ask your IT people to get a copy of Ram Idle Pro and try running the "clear the clipboard" option when it happens again........also use it to check what resources are available when it happens. Resource problems could cause it.

Another possibility is some sort of software conflict, so you need to look in task manager and make a careful note of what is running when it happens.

How frequently does it happen............you might try safe mode and see if it still happens then?

if we are able to reproduce the issue may be we can find a solution....
    Exactly..............these sort of problems are much more easily solved if you have a problem machine in front of you

Cheers

sure nihil, will try scanning the systems for blaster variants, we'll try other suggestions also whenever the issue reoccurs and will continue this thread with the results....

in the mean time any other suggestions are welcome and other similar user experiences may shread more light in here......
    keep smilling

hmm.. some web forms prevent c&p .. well more to the point the page prevents you from useing the "right Click" menu.. and some applications just plain and simple don't support C&P ...so my questions to you are..

Is the problem JUST with C&P to web forms,
    if it is also to other applications.. what would they be..
    Is it that when you right click on the form or the data box in the application that no menu appears or a menu without the option to paste appears

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi,

n the mean time any other suggestions are welcome and other similar user experiences may shread more light in here......
    Working on one such Computer right now.

OS -- Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    Internet Connection Type -- Dial-Up

Works just fine if you don't connect to internet..................But ones you connect to inter will work for 3 to 4 minutes sometimes more say 15 to 20 minutes and the Copy/Paste Dies......Some Hyperlink on FireFox and IE refuse to work....click on them nothing happens..........everything else seems to work fine....and you have to restart the computer to correct it

Is the problem JUST with C&P to web forms,
    No the whole OS .......everything

Is it that when you right click on the form or the data box in the application that no menu appears or a menu without the option to paste appears
    Right Click Anywhere the menu will appear..... but the Copy and paste menu items are Greayd out.

It is a symptom of some variants of the Blaster virus sometimes.
    Yes last time this occured i found blaster on that computer but Nihil that time too i wasen't able to correct this problem without doing a clean install............i removed the blaster but still this copy paste refused to work.............this time i couldn't find blaster on this computer ................but AD-Aware notified me about My-Doom process running.............scanned the whole computer nothing

Actions taken so far:

Scanned with the following

* HouseCall

* AD-Aware

* Spybot

* Norton

* Trojan Remover

* Specilised Tools From Norton for removing My-Doom and Blaster

* Updated all the Security Updates From Microsoft

Did a repair Install after all those scanning. ..........................and the result .......nothing ..

Any more suggestions........anyone.........

This only happens when i use the dial -up connection to connect to the internet .

I thought both these problems have same symbtoms....and might have some similar solution........ so posted it here if you thing otherwise let me know i will start a new thread .

--Good Luck--

Hi Swordfish~

That sounds as if it might have had Blaster or something, and it has not been completely removed?

Almost as if there is a process triggered by the internet connection that disables C & P and the hyperlinks.............that is how you would get help from a site like ours?

Try manually entering the link for one of the hyperlinks that will not work..........

Also you don't seem to have run CWShredder..............no telling what those CWS slimeballs will get up to next

If you go into SpyBot in advanced mode use the tools to check out your BHOs etc for anything unusual.

Autostart Viewer and ProcRecon might show up something strange.

If my suspicions are correct WinSonar might be your tool. When you connect to the net it will pop-up a message saying that it has detected an internet connection, would you like to block unknown background processes.............say "yes" and see what happens. Then try it again and say "no" and it should tell you the name of the bad guy when it kicks off.

Just a few ideas