Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tired of Counter-Strike

...or you could just tell the kids to play on 69.56.207.42:27016, the official Anti Online -=[AO]=- clan CS server!

And no nihil, last time i checked, counterstrike was not freeware. In fact, the game still costs 30 bucks at stores and you need a original cd key to play online.

However, lets be serious and talk sense. I think the best idea is to talk with the principle and set up some rule that anyone caught playing counter strike will be in trouble. It shouldnt be hard to catch people, i mean they have sound right? Its no fun to play cs without sound, so just listen for the word "HEADSHOT" or whatever and then bust them

quote:
    You are now engaged in a running battle that you will never win, because you will get a new batch of smarta$$es each academic year.

Amen. Exactly my point. You wont be able to win this one, kids are to smart and crazy, they will do anything and everything to break the system. Seriously, my school had a problem like this and they made a teacher just sit near the computers during the lunch break and listen and watch for sounds of video games. Best of luck to you, and to angelicknight, counterstrike doesnt require a CD to play...all you need is the cd to install it and the cd key and you are go.
    Unofficial ...AO is not paying for anything...its all coming out of our own pockets. I think Chey sent an email to them and they said they couldn't sponsor for it.

I completely agree with the second part though. While I was @ my other college, there was a lot of us playing CS in the computer lab...besides, we're paying $15k a year...so using the computer lab for CS wasn't really any big concern for them. Some students would bitch because their favorite seat would be taken by someone playing a game...anyways, the school decided to let us use a separate computer lab whenever we wanted to play games. They also allowed 2 private servers to run on the network...given that we do not allow people outside the network to join our servers. In the end it worked out fine for both parties....we even started holding yearly tournaments for CS, HALO, StarCraft and some other games.

My 2 cent: See if you can come up with a compromise where both parties will be happy...being a bitch and blocking everything will only bring more trouble IMO. Students will try to go the extra mile to break whatever security you implement, which could cause more harm than they might think.

Hello,something a simple solution might fix-Have the entire class face forward and sit behind them so you can see the screen's?
    Take a walk through the isle's every once in a while and see who closes their laptop's.
    I can't add any tech stuff as i am still learning and the people who have already posted are way smarter than i.
    \"what about a robot with a Human brain?\" bart simpson

Are these kids the sole users of the laptops or are they in a lab? Our kids are assigned a laptop for the year, so we just tell them to buy a hub to game on and don't connect to our network for gaming or no access for a week.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

quick question as well. Are these kids on a wireless connection or directly plugged into the network. What type of security do you have in place now? Giving some basic information such as(domain, or no domain, wireless, or not wirelss) could possible help some of us out. i know if would me, and i wouldn't have posted usless crap earlier.

Let me know, and I'll see what I can dig up to block it.

You could make a batch file to run over and over:

"taskkill /F /T /IM counterstrike.exe" (or whatever the process image name is)

Then put it on their laptops and add it to startup through msconfig.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

The kids would finally get smart enough to find the batch file and delete it. It is easy to look through the startup folder and figure it out.
    Don\'t mistake lack of talent for genius.

Not if you use pstools and do it remotely.

But then there is a question of user authority. How much access or privledges do you have over these laptops? Domain, and etc. We need a lot more detail as to the actual network. Not just the connections.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by Cpt. Commander
    The kids would finally get smart enough to find the batch file and delete it. It is easy to look through the startup folder and figure it out.
    Write it in c++, and name it svchost.exe. Also, don't put it in the startup folder. Type msconfig at the run prompt, and add it there.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Originally posted here by ;TT
    Disable booting from CDs from BIOS and add a BIOS password. Done. =)
    Why did Dave get negged for this? Just wondering... I could understand like a 25% hit for repeating information or something but damn...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Originally posted here by The Grunt
    Why did Dave get negged for this? Just wondering... I could understand like a 25% hit for repeating information or something but damn...
    Its bad enough that people bitch about their own ap assignments... but now you're bitching about someone elses? I thought everyone was going to stop bitching about APs? Why do you care? Why not just pos him back up than post about it? Thats what the system IS there for. If you or him really want to know... use PMs.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.