Thread: more censorship

more censorship

I hate to harp on this because it involves the election, and
    I'm sure everyone is sick of the election.

We've seen two very different philosophies in play on this issue recently. With the release of the anti-Bush film "Fahrenheit 9/11," Republicans ranted and raved and called the film a sack of lies and filmmaker Michael Moore a commie propagandist, sure. But they never even hinted that his right to produce it — or Americans' right to see it — should be proscribed.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._collin14.html

So, now some Republican leaning TV network shows an anti-Kerry film and
    the Democrats want it taken off the air. The reason; it constitutes an illegal
    contribution to the Bush campaign.

More politically salient, the Democrats' actions this week have undercut large parts of their own campaign-finance arguments, including those they had upheld by a divided Supreme Court. To those who objected to the stringent reforms on First Amendment grounds, the party was vehement that money could be regulated because "money is not political speech" and so not worthy of protection.

So tell us, senators, if "Stolen Honor" is not political speech, what exactly is it?
    Now in this Orwellian world, who will decide when biased news coverage is no longer
    just the free press at work, but worthy of censorship? I have ranted before about the
    McCain-Feingold law that lies at the root of this mischief.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

That was my argument last year when this thing passed.... WTF are you guys doing! Sigh.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Actually, a big portion of the complaint that Democrats have is that TV stations are required, by law, to give each party equal air time. Fahrenheit 911 was never shown on TV, it was in theaters, and people had to pay to see it. However, IMO, it's a tempest in a teacup. This company only owns about 37 TV stations, IIRC, and only 2 of those are the "big three". The rest are all WB and UPN stations.

However, I did hear something on the news the other night that Michael Moore is thinking about putting Fahrenheit 911 on TV before the election. I'd like to see that happen. That way I'd be able to see it, without contributing to Michael Moore's ever-increasing bank account.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

My lady friend place 911 in our NetFlix queue. Netflix is cool.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.