Thread: Multiple Xeons

Question Multiple Xeons

Is it possible to have multiple Xeons on the same computer (i.e as many as you want)? I have tried searching on Google but no related results. For example, can you have 4 consecutive Xeons running on the same computer?

J_K9

Yes ! But i haven't heard of a personal computer having more than 1 processor, usually servers run 2 and up ......... but yeah, the fastest computer in the world (now in the US) has around 16,000 processors running....i think thats the right number, not 100 % sure !
    O.G at A.O

Well here is a start for you: http://www.intel.com/products/server...s/server/xeon/
    edit: and here is a story on multiple processors: http://www.computerworld.com/hardwar...,63431,00.html

All found easily on google btw.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I know that servers usually run 2+ processors, but I'm just intersted in Xeons: if I can link them (as in more than duals) together. Or, if you can link more than one dual Xeon together on the same personal computer (even though it would be pointless!).

J_K9

Xeon MP - Single, Dual, or Quad CPU Use
    Xeon DP (& Just Xeon) - Single or Dual CPU Use

To sum it up, if your motherboard doesn't have the sockets for another Xeon processor, you won't be able to add another Xeon processor to that computer. You also can't exceede the limits posted above. Also, keep in mind that only workstation/server motherboards support Xeon processors - no "personal computer" motherboard will accept a Xeon processor. But there are a couple of server/workstation motherboards that accept a single Pentium 4 processor, but they cost a lot compared to the "personal computer" Pentium 4 motherboards...

There is only one case to my knowledge (And I don't think I'd be able to verify it, so it could just be some Internet legend/rumor) where another processor was essentially soldered onto a motherboard and worked - but it was back in the days of either Pentium Pro or Pentium 2, and the guy who cut his motherboard appart and rebuilt parts of it had a lot of EE knowledge and specificially knew what he was doing. I'm pretty sure Intel doesn't want that to happen again with their newer products and as far as I know nothing of the sort has happened since

Thanks a lot Tim_axe and others who posted here. Quad Xeons- not bad!

J_K9