Thread: domain seup problem

domain seup problem

I have a router connected to hub who is giving internet connection to all 5 computers.

1 computer is have win2kserver... I have setup active directory with domain called 'domain' and i did also setup 'users' on active directory users and computers. Active directory is up and running in this computer.

2.I gave scope range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.100 while router IP is 10.0.0.2 and by router documentation I can setup a range of router IP between 10.0.0.3 to 10.0.0.15, Main computer is set upped with Ip address 10.0.0.4

Let's go to client side,

I had initially all the computer set up with workgroup 'mshome' no when i went to 'my computer' > network identification and changed work group into doamin called 'domain' and press OK .....it says ' cannot contact to domain'...damn it ...isn't that the way?? That way was woking fine at college...why not at home?

Had I missed something ??pls help me.

PS: I gave the client IP : 192.168.0.10 ; def gateway+dns server 10.0.0.4 (which is the IP address of the 2kserver computer)

so you are using two subnets on your lan without a router between them?

your workstations are on the 192.168.0.x subnet and the default gateway is on the 10.0.0.x subnet? How are they supposed to get to the gateway? The gateway needs to be on the same subnet as your workstations. Same with the server.

Please clarify why you are using two subnets. And exactly which devices are on which subnets.

Also, which OS is your workstations using?

Your network should look something like this:

internet connection <--> router's LAN port on 192.168.0.x subnet <--> workstations and servers on same subnet.

otherwise they workstations won't know how to communicate with the gateway without a separate router between them and the gateway... which doesn't make much sense to set it up that way. same thing for your servers. If they are all on the same subnet and you can ping them, then they should be able to join the domain.

Maybe I'm just tired and missing something?

IP setup might be something like this:

router == 192.168.0.1

2kserver == 192.168.0.10
    subnet mask == 255.255.255.0
    gateway == 192.168.0.1
    dns == ISPs dns servers

workstation#1 == 192.168.0.100
    gateway == 192.168.0.1
    dns == ISPs dns servers or if your server is going to function as the dns server, 192.168.0.10

workstation#2 == 192.168.0.100
    gateway == 192.168.0.1
    dns == ISPs dns servers or if your server is going to function as the dns server, 192.168.0.10

etc.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

phisophreek80 I am usning two subnets because I don't know what subnets should i put in my scope range of active directory's dhcp server. while router's range is 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.15 IP address of router is 10.0.0.2

I have no idea what range should i give on my server's scope ( which i assume will be the ip's of the clients) ..

all the other computer are using 2000 professional.

router's LAN port is 10.0.0.2 which is connected to hub... Before I had a p2p netowork of all these computer so no problem cos router was giving ip's ta each computer, but i now want this computer which is already connected to router to give ip's to it's clients, of course a server should do that ...so that i can give internet connection to each clients and have client server environment.

I don't know if i now need to change whole physical setting of hub and router as well.

Thanks