XP cd keys
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP cd keys

XP cd keys

i bought a computer a few months ago. it came with an install of windows xp but not a real xp installation disk. the manufacturer gave me a cd key and a rescue disk with the hard drive image that it was shipped with in case it ever crashed, etc.

well, now i just got a new motherboard and the image that they gave me has some kind of compatibility issue with the new mobo, so i had to reformat and reinstall using my dad's install disc, but it wont let me use the cd key that came with my computer, it will only accept the one that goes with dad's cd... i ended up using his key and i figured i'd have an opportunity to change it when it asked me to activate windows, but it wouldnt accept it then either.

i dont understand how this works, i see websites with cd key changing programs, tutorials on how to change your key, etc.(that wouldnt work for me) that seem to say that it doesnt matter what key you use as long as it's a valid windows cd key, but for me, it seems that it checks to make sure that your key goes with the cd im using to install: my key works fine with my rescue disk with the xp image, and dad's key works fine with the cd it came with, but if i try to swap em, it wont work. they're both installs of windows xp home, what gives?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    are you installing the OS with the new motherboard? ah yes I see..... that happened to me. You have to install the OS with the orginial motherboard and then switch the HD to the new Motherboard, some manufactuer protection sys or something . At least that worked for me with my old HP! Hope this helps.

Windows CD keys are seperated into two branches:

OEM
    Retail

Your Rescue Disc installs an OEM version of Windows XP (OEM CD). It only accepts an OEM XP Key.
    Your Dad's Disc installs a Retail version of Windows XP (Retail CD). It only accepts a Retail XP Key.

That is why you aren't able to use either key at will. You have to put in the type of CD that key was created for. Also, when you call MS with a tech issue and they ask for your key, they can type it into their computers and see if you bought the Retail or OEM version, and they usually give you crappier support for OEM XP because they sell it for half the price of regular XP.

i just used the new mobo to do a fresh install of xp and everything worked. i guess my key is crap now, unless i can find another oem version of xp, i might look into that

********** |ceWriterguy
    Phonedog - not sure how old your system is or if warranty's expired, but you might contact who you bought the system from and let them know the change. Usually they're happy to install a fresh OEM onto your hd at minimal cost or free when you've bought a system from them.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

You might be able to put your "old" computer back together, and then reinstall it from there. It would get past the booting problem for the CD, and then when you "upgrade" XP might just tell you "You have X upgrades left", etc. I'd think Microsoft would let you upgrade without trying to be greedy and take all of your money... Good luck with this and your video card issues.

Phonedog............you have my sympathies mate

WinXP uses hardware configuration as a means pf preventing piracy. If you build OEM machines as I frequently do, the "proper" OEM disk will work, but I have to telephone Microsoft and get an activation code for major upgrades. I have NEVER had a problem with them to this day.

I think that your problem is that the manufacturer has created a mirror, that has "fixed" the hardware configuration. I would talk to them and to Microsoft and ask what to do. As I see it, you have paid for an OEM version, so they should send you a disk that is not hardware locked.

I know that Microsoft have a "deal" with the OEM manufacturers, such that they do not automatically provide a "raw" CD..................I do not know what the law is in Uruguay (?), but over here, they would have to fix the problem, as you are legally entitled to upgrade your hardware platform. Now, if no one told you that you could not do this, VERY CLEARLY when you made your purchase, your first recourse would be to the manufacturer/retailer (over here), then to Microsoft.

I do not have a problem with my customers, because I always give them the CD that I did the installation with, not a mirror of the installation AFTER I have installed it (I only do that after the required applications are in there). I even have my own label that I stick next to the Microsoft one that says do not remove this (MS) label as it may affect your support and ownership rights.

You certainly have the moral high ground, so get on the phone, Phonedog~........

Sorry about that (not) please feel free to neg me as appropriate..............but if you do continue to have problems please PM me and I will see what I can do

Good Luck

sounds good ill give ms a call

Hey, because I'm about to buy a new computer...

What exactly is the difference between a OEM version and a retail version?
    I'm asking this because my sister's computer (HP) did not come with the installation cds.

Is it still possible with Windows XP to simply format your drive and start all over again with the installation cd that comes with it? And to keep using the same CD key?
    Like you would install Win98?

I don't want to call microsoft or use some shitty recovery cd when I mess things up...
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

el-half, OEM versions do not contain the full operating systems and are not usually usable on a different system than the one they came with. Retail versions will work with any system because they have no idea what system you will be installing them on.

A laptop I purchased through PC Club had the retail version come with it, and a utility disk with all the drivers that would be needed. It will work with some other keys, but not all of them ( this I don't understand?), but the disk I got when I bought a Dell will only work with a Dell, and I don't know if it will accept any other (yet).

I have access to a full retail version of XP with a valid key, but haven't had tha opertunity to try it in any other machines except the one it was bought for.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown