Thread: network speed troubleshooting

network speed troubleshhot

How shall I start? okay.....here i go, I have cat5(e) cables,10/100 Mbps hub and 10/100Mbps NICS and all computer are runnning win2kpro (1server).This is a home network running since last year. I only realise now that my network should be running at 100Mbps...but is's runnning at 10Mbps. How can i make it run at 100Mbps? I have all the equipments necessary for 100Mbps network

Help 'd be highly and truely appreceated
    Thanks

I think that you have a 10/100MBps system?

The "Spine" will run at 100 but the ribs/limbs whatever you like to call them will run at 10MBps

If you look at such a system from one of the clients, you will see 10MBps?

Just my thoughts

is it a 10/100 hub? sometimes "auto sense" senses wrong and insert first one at 10 Mbps. Since it is a hub, subsequent host will sense network at 10Mbps and .....

Disconnect every pc. Connect just one and see the speed. If it is 10Mb, "force" 100 Mb. speed at lan adapter properties. If you were successfull, try to insert the remain ones.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

I did it once, I did it once and force into 100mbps and i lost the internet connection. not sure if i had lost the LAN connection though. still won't worth. I need internet connection.

Do you mean i should keep changing the ports on hub?

yes,cacosapo....It is 10/100Mbps hub

Originally posted here by rajunpl
    I did it once, I did it once and force into 100mbps and i lost the internet connection. not sure if i had lost the LAN connection though. still won't worth. I need internet connection.

Do you mean i should keep changing the ports on hub?

yes,cacosapo....It is 10/100Mbps hub
    ooops. When u had forced 100Mb on pc you lost internet connection?

My guess:

- 10/100 hub (shared so)
    - adsl modem with a ethernet port.
    - all pc with 10/100 ethernet cards

--> your modem is a 10 Mb ethernet (i have one like this). So you cant run a SHARED hub on 100 Mb, since your modem cant enter on the hub on that speeed.

what about change to a 10/100 switch? here i recently bought (to bypass that problem) a LG switch (crap) for about US$25...
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

basic switch cost around same price here ...or probabably £25-30; I think I won't bother buying switch, cacosapo...I think you guessed right. I haven't checked my modem/router's port yet. Thank you so much, It is as stupid but i never realised