Win 98 Drivers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win 98 Drivers

Win 98 Drivers

I got problem with drivers.
    How can I start windows so that it will not install hardware automaticaly?
    Problem is sound card = computer freezing on start up and also efter that I removed card.

I did
    Removed drivers in failsafe mode
    Removed registry entries with drivername
    Removed card from computer

But
    When I starting computer it founding sound card (that does not exist) and trieng to install drivers and then freezing.

==My OS==
    Win 98
    Soundcard = cinemaster
    // too far away outside of limit

OK my little Fawn (MrBabis = The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe )

Try:

<start>
    <settings>
    <control panel>
    <add/remove programs>

See if there is anything to delete there

Try WinPatrol from BillP Studios...............look at the start and running processes and kill the related ones.

Otherwise I will find you a tool that will clean your registry (works from Win95~ME)

You see..........us bloody English will send you more than acid rain

Cheers

Johnno

That does not help

Hi,

By "help" I take it that you mean "work"

OK now we need to clean your registry?

I am suspecting that there are some old settings in there that did not get removed.

You say Win98 so let us try first:

<start>
    <run>
    <winfile>

This is an old DOS/16 bit app that is still in Win98...............look for any folders relating to the sound card and delete them.

Then try a re-boot

The basically correct answer to your question:

How can I start windows so that it will not install hardware automaticaly?
    is: "in Safe Mode"................please try that and let me know if it still tries to install.........you should also try this new deletion method in safe mode (CF 8 key on boot up.........keep hitting it)

Let me know how you get on, then we will move to the Registry

Cheers

Thanks nihil a lot (nihil = somthing big and updated, ), it's work good

Talking Well Then ...

By MrBabis
    Thanks nihil a lot (nihil = somthing big and updated, ), it's work good.
    Show your appreciation by handing out some greenies to Nihil! He dosen't need them, but it'll put you in the right mind-set!

Nihil = Older, wiser, and more experienced!

EDIT

Just to clarify, I posted this:
    Show your appreciation by handing out some greenies to Nihil! He dosen't need them, but it'll put you in the right mind-set!
    By "The right mind-set," I meant that people who help others should be rewarded for helping by the people helped! Positive Antipoints is one way to do that!

I know you believe you understand what you think I typed, but I'm not sure you realise that what you read is not what I meant! lol

/EDIT
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

By "help" I take it that you mean "work"
    He couldn't even boot in safe mode, remember? That's what I believe he meant it didn't help, because at the time he couldn't boot without it freezing up.

What the hell? Blah, nevermind.. *whistles and walks away*
    Space For Rent.. =]

Exclamation Ahem! Spyder32 I think You Read MrBabis' Post Too Quickly...

By MrBabis

I did
    Removed drivers in failsafe mode
    Removed registry entries with drivername
    Removed card from computer

But
    When I starting computer it founding sound card (that does not exist) and trieng to install drivers and then freezing.
    From this I comprehended that MrBabis removed his drivers and removed registry entries in safe mode "failsafe mode"

Then powered down to remove the hardware - sound card. Bit dodgy to remove sound card with power on. Wouldn't you agree?

Then when powered back up had the problem.

It might be an assumption, but it's pretty much a well educated guess to me that given the sequence of events MrBabis is highly likely to be able to boot into safe mode once more!

Any further thoughts?

P.S. WTF was wrong with what I posted, and that you quoted? Please explain so I can consider any necessary adjustment.
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

Calm down please Gentlemen!

MrBabis and I have discussed computer problems in several threads. He is Swedish, so his English might seem a little strange to some, but I have no problems with it.

I am sure that he has more problems with my English

As far as I can see the problem is fixed, and with typical Scandanavian courtesy he told us so

What upsets me are the people you know have been helped who do not tell you, or even worse, don't tell you which solution worked.

Mr Babis and I have this sort of personal joke, because his name is from a character in "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S.Lewis

"Like his fellow genius, Tolkien, C.S. Lewis has redfined the nature of fantasy, adding richness, beauty and dimension...............In our times, every fantasy realm must be measured in comparison with Narnia"

Lloyd Alexander

as it says in the book: "Once a king in Narnia, always a king in Narnia"

Any further thoughts?
    Yes.. I was indicating in my post how he had tried safe mode and it didn't work. So perhaps booting up regularly wouldn't "help" as he put it and said to nihil, as I tried to explain to nihil.

P.S. WTF was wrong with what I posted, and that you quoted? Please explain so I can consider any necessary adjustment.
    Alot, but nothing I'm going to point out if you can not see for yourself. Sorry..

I am sure that he has more problems with my English
    He's probably not the only one who has problems with your.. uhm... you call that English?
    Space For Rent.. =]