Thread: Hardware USB Keylogger?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Hardware USB Keylogger?

I've been looking around for a little toy for demonstration in my intro class and ideally wanted to show students how a keylogger can be used on both sides of the fence (white and black hat POV). Most I've noticed have been PS/2 keyloggers. Does anyone know of a US/Canadian distributor of a USB version (does such a beastie exist)?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

i did a little research and as far as i know there is a USB verstion on the way...... however i did not find anything currently avalible.......

heres another question would a PS/2 to USB adapter work, for a hardware keylogger such as this????? that might be sothing to expirement with.........

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    heres another question would a PS/2 to USB adapter work, for a hardware keylogger such as this????? that might be sothing to expirement with.........
    Possibly. I was sorta hoping to avoid that if possible. Given that many machines coming out these days are supporting USB keyboards, I want to show them how easy it might be to not see it (not that they check in the first place).

*meh* I guess I'll have to get a PS/2 one for now...
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

i'll keep and eye out for it and let you know....

Good Luck

Other than the good ole Keyboard socketed loggers such as KeyGhost which show up on ebay from time to time - I'm afraid I've never seen a USB version. Would be nice though. Bah.
    # Now if I ever needed inspiration,
    Right about now where I lose my patience,

ive seen a USB one built...thats probably no use to u though..

The latest range of PIC chips contain a USB stack and its very easy to connect a Ps/2 keyboard to them and log to a serial eeprom as I saw. You could also grab USB with a little bit of thinking

I once tried to modify a USB hub so that I could sniff all the traffic for a certain device that I was reverse engineering to create a linux driver for. Check out USB snoppy or something like that its not a hardware solution and its flawed in may respects. USB protocol analysers do a similar job but in hardware

i2c

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    KeyGhost PS/2 keyloggers are VERY reliable but to a paranoid mind that has the slightest bit of computer knowledge, they are easy to spot. Having a large cylindrical device hanging off the back of your PC isn't very stealthy.

I have tried to "inline" USB converters using KeyGhost but it did not work. I used the USB to PS/2 adapters that come with the Microsoft intellimouse.

KeyGhost SX, however, is MUCH smaller and harder to spot initially.

MsMitts,

From the keyghost website FAQ.....

Q. Does the KeyGhost work on a USB keyboard?
    A. The KeyGhost does not currently work on USB (rectangular plug) keyboards. There are no adapters available to make it work on a USB keyboard. KeyGhost only works with PS/2 keyboards (small round plug), and older DIN style keyboards (larger round plug, but requires adapters).

http://www.keyghost.com/faq.htm#usb
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden