Penguins eat Apples, not just Herring.

Thread: Penguins eat Apples, not just Herring.

Penguins eat Apples, not just Herring.

http://www.linux.org/news/2004/10/09/0007.html

Looks like Linux has beaten Apple on the desktop.

Now, considering the size of Apple, and how Apple has been around so long (And I might add, doing some very awesome things in computing) The fact that Linux, the youngest of the 4 big OSs (Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, BSD, Linux) it's cool too see how it's now ahead of Apple.

Nothing against Mac OS, but I'm proud too see Linux doing so well. Next stop, Tux the Vandal smashes some Windows.

It doesn't really surprise me. If it wasn't for the expensive hardware that is needed to run any of Apple's OS's, I would have one.

Linux will run on almost any hardware out there... Apple's OS will run on hardware that they choose. With MACs becoming more like a *nix box anyway... why spend the $$ on the hardware and OS when you can get the same thing from Linux?

<edit>
    Wow... Post 2600... I spend WAY too much time on here...
    </edit>
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hehe, congrats dawg!~

Dude, go too the Show your stuff thread. I took a screen shot where I was downloading YOPER, and the rate of download was HUGE. I took a shot because No one would ever believe me. I tried cancelling the download thinking like "OK, this is a mistake, I'll try again".

Tried again, and bang, still the same speed. Needless too say my download finished VERY fast.

Hehe :

This is NOT on my LAN. I'm downloading this from the Internet, and actually getting that speed.

The download finished in like 5 minutes. Soooooooo Bookmarking this server.

Hmm not bad gore! I only DLed it at 600k on my Univ's wireless, maybe if I get a g-compatible card it would go even faster But that is wicked... is it physically possible on your connection?
    /\\

Nothing against Mac OS, but I'm proud too see Linux doing so well. Next stop, Tux the Vandal smashes some Windows.
    That makes a lot of sense to me as Windows is getting more and more resource demanding. OK so are the latest *nix distros but at nothing like the same rate.

A lot of older technology machines are becoming available, particularly from the corporate/institutional sector. Traditionally these are fairly low spec. particularly in the memory area.

Now, old memory is getting expensive............like PC100 is about 25% more expensive than PC133........it makes sense to use a linux distro on these old boxes.

OK you can use the older versions of Windows like 98SE and NT4, but these will soon be unsupported with no upgrade route (due to the old hardware). At least linux still has a future on these old boxes?

Remember as well, that a lot of these ex corporate/institution boxes come without an OS on them as the original was part of a corporate/group licence and will have been deleted.

I think that the interesting statistic is the OSes on NEW machines, rather than overall market penetration?

just a thought

Antionline Herpetologist
    Holy crap! That's a fast download! Gore, what are your thoughts on yoper? I tried installing it and I felt that the install was far too complicated (looking it at it from a n00b's POV) for a distribution that claims to get you up and running fast. Also, I (so far) haven't been able to boot it with NT's bootloader. Going to try a few things now though since I used reiser4 (which I haven't used with ntldr before) and did a couple of things I haven't really done before.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Heh, I haven't installed it so far. when I got to install it I'll check out how it goes and maybe do a tutorial on it. The download speed was an actual speed, like I said, I didn't download it over my LAN, it was actually over the internet, and with my speed that is possible. My connection can handle a little more than that. Yea, I have a good one.