I could use some help on this.

Thread: I could use some help on this.

********** |ceWriterguy

I could use some help on this.

I stuck this here because it's not computer related. It IS electronic though...

Last Christmas I bought one of those wonderful 30 dollar dvd players Circuit City plastered up on ads everywhere. It's an AMW model S99. Wonderful box, does exactly what I want it to, never missed a beat. Now the problem. Amidst the plethorae of activity about my household in recent weeks, the remote to said wonderful dvd player has gone the way of all remotes. I suspect the sock gnomes from my dryer swiped it for their sadistic pleasure..

Yesterday I finally broke down and went to Wallyworld and bought one of those One for All Universal remotes (model URC 3021w) (yes, I'm a cheapskate). Now, the remote works wonderfully on the tv. In fact, it'll control any tv in the house, including the tv/vcr/dvd combo in my bedroom. It just won't control that freaking AMW.

Steps I've taken:
    1 - I read the manual throughly. No help. No autoprogram features for odd arsed dvd players anywhere, no codes for AMW.

2 - I went to the remote manufacturer's website - and found a forum, to which I quickly posted only to receive no responses whatsoever. I also researched any existing codes and found nothing regarding AMW and my remote.

3 - I did a little research on my dvd player, and found that AMW stands for Amphion Media Works, which is most likely based out of the UK (at least that's where I saw the most sites pointing to). I emailed them with the issue too, but I don't expect to hear much other than them telling me to buy a replacement remote from them, and that I'm a cheapskate for not doing so.

Any help? Little help here?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Can't help you technically but when those sort of things go missing in my house I usually find them down the back/sides of the armchairs or sofa. Try lifting the cushions and hunting around in the base. You will probably find money and writing implements as well. Feel really deep and also the cloth underneath as things sometimes drop right through.

Otherwise look in drawers that you don't normally use, if there is anyone around your house like my wife it may have been "put up safe"

I take it that you have tested the DVD to make sure that it works manually?

Good luck

********** |ceWriterguy
    Yes, the dvd player works fine manually, I just can't access some of the extra features in it without the remote.

The remote is gone. I've looked for 4 weeks, top to bottom in my house. The problem I'm wanting help with is getting the URC to work with the dvd player. Thanks for your input though.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Well I just had a quick look. I only found two vague references, one was a guy who bought one because the control looked the same as another machine he had. That didn't work because the coding is quite different.

The other was someone reviewing a somewhat upmarket AMW model who said that it won't work with ANY universal controller.

For $30 they are obviously not worth repairing. Perhaps there is someone out there with an out of warranty on that has died, and will sell you the remote?............you might try ebay or whatever?

Sorry I can't help more.

Try lifting the cushions and hunting around in the base. You will probably find money and writing implements as well.
    But beware of the evils that lay waiting! I kid you not, I've had something inside the chair turn and bite me while doing that
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

********** |ceWriterguy
    Thank you both for the assistance. Still no luck fishing up codes. It might be that the one device I actually needed the unversal remote for was the one that can't be controlled by it. Ah well. Now if AMW would just respond and offer to sell me a new one I wouldn't be such a cheapskate - otherwise I'll go buy a nice Sony for the livingroom, stick that one in here, and cut my losses.

BTW - I checked (again) under the cushions on the couch. Aside from the $2.14 in loose change and the odd pretzel and beer bottle top, it was fruitless as expected. I swear those sock gnomes are out in my laundry room laughing their bums off.

|3lack|ce: I know what you mean. after you loose stuff its always hard to find.

Just remember... its ALWAYS in the LAST place you look.

I have found stuff in the most obscure places... the refrigerator, the freezer...
    How my remote ended up behind the milk I'll never figure out...

Next time you go buying a remote... do some research and figure out which models will work with which devices.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.