Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One simple question if anybody can help me ??

Unhappy One simple question if anybody can help me ??

Hi all,
    I know this is a very basic question and i shudn't be asking this but i have already searched for the defination but was not able to understand the question in a simple language.

well my question is can any body tell me in simple language "What is steganography ?"

Thanks in advance.

In.
    A laptop, internet connection and beer.

As far as I am aware it is a form of encryption where you hide something within something else like a document inside a picture. You can still see the picture as a picture but the document is scattered around inside it.

steganigraphy simply is where text is hiddden in pictures or image files.

better still
    steganography :
    <security> Hiding a secret message within a larger one in such
    a way that others can not discern the presence or contents of
    the hidden message. For example, a message might be hidden
    within an image by changing the least significant bits to
    be the message bits.

being an indian this might help you more,
    Ankit Fadia helped FBI crack codes of images sent by members of AL-Quida.

http://www.cryptobola.com/index.htm its a site which sells a software to hide text in images but i think going around a site might be help full. http://www.cryptobola.com/index.htm
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Easy way of explaining stenagraphy is by thinking about Ascii art. (No ascii art is not stenagrapy.) But you see the picture, but there are also a lot of other things there. Well that is kind of how stenagraphy is, you can see a picture and embeded in the picture is your stuff.

Code:

,--^----------,--------,-----,-------^--,
      | |||||||||   `--------'     |          O
      `+---------------------------^----------|
        `\_,-------, _________________________|
          / XXXXXX /`|     /
         / XXXXXX /  `\   /
        / XXXXXX /\______(
       / XXXXXX /
      / XXXXXX /
     (________(
      `------'

If you want to learn about steganography, ask Elonka. Here is a link to a portion of her web page that deals with the very subject>>>>

ElonkaSpeaks

There have also been attempts at hiding data within mp3's as another form of steganography, for example the program MP3Stego does such. Steganography also distorts image files just a bit. The more data to hide in a image the more the distortion and the same goes for smaller and smaller images. If for example the data you wish to hide is a image, its quality will be a bit downgraded when its extracted. I'll leave the rest of the reading up to you
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Hey thanks all of u .... now i think i know something about steganography.
    A laptop, internet connection and beer.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Webopedia is like a dictionary for online terms and words. http://webopedia.com

the first one :

(ste-g&n-o´gr&-fē) (n.) The art and science of hiding information by embedding messages within other, seemingly harmless messages. Steganography works by replacing bits of useless or unused data in regular computer files (such as graphics, sound, text, HTML, or even floppy disks ) with bits of different, invisible information. This hidden information can be plain text, cipher text, or even images.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Darksnake said:

The more data to hide in a image the more the distortion and the same goes for smaller and smaller images.
    That is a very good point, and is well demonstrated by the examples in the link that ByTeWrangler gave you.

A point that has not been raised is the complexity of the carrier. The more complex the carrier, a picture for example, the less likely the distortion is to be noticed. A good example would be the wallpapers that ship with XP. The default "green field" one is not very good. The road through the trees with Autumn (Fall) leaves on the ground is much better.

Cheers

search www.google.com

Is it really that hard? You see the same stuff written here but with a bit more info and more completed.