Thread: Routers and Hyper Terminal

Routers and Hyper Terminal

Is there a list out there which states which routers are compatible with Hyper Terminal? Some routers are not (mine included). I know Cisco routers are the standard however they are very expensive. What other routers out there are compatible with the Hyper Terminal Interface?

Hey Hey,

You can use HyperTerm with any device that has a console.... Cisco Routers, Nortel Routers, Many servers (We use it when we work on our HP servers in lab). It's just reads data coming over a specified port and displays it for you... On a "home router" (Linksys, DLnk, NetGear) I doubt you'll ever find a console connection... They aren't worth enough to warrant adding this sort of connection.

Peace
    HT

HTRegz is right. However, it should be noted that each router or device might use a different type of connection (cable) or connection settings. Refer to the manufacturer documentation for each specific device... or you can do it by trial and error. Normally its faster to RTFM.

HTRegz: I've seen some older "home routers" or "residential gateways" have this connection.
    But that was before they had the web based configs.

The dlink DI-701 is one that I can think of off the top of my head...
    http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.as...uestion=DI-701

What a peice of sh*% that thing was. It got good reviews but it was crap. I always had problems with it. A firmware update would fix one thing but break another. I replaced it with a Cisco (806 at the time) and have no problems since.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    HTRegz is right. However, it should be noted that each router or device might use a different type of connection (cable) or connection settings. Refer to the manufacturer documentation for each specific device... or you can do it by trial and error. Normally its faster to RTFM.

HTRegz: I've seen some older "home routers" or "residential gateways" have this connection.
    But that was before they had the web based configs.

The dlink DI-701 is one that I can think of off the top of my head...
    http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.as...uestion=DI-701

What a peice of sh*% that thing was. It got good reviews but it was crap. I always had problems with it. A firmware update would fix one thing but break another. I replaced it with a Cisco (806 at the time) and have no problems since.
    Strange, I never had a problem with mine and I had some fairly complicated configurations, at least as far as you are capable with a Dlink.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I have a D-link and am able to get a connection to Hyper Terminal. I know that most of the configuration can be, and has been, done through a web interface. Configuration isn't the issue. The issue is that most of our labs are dealing with Hypper Terminal and I cannot use the interface using my router. I'd like to use Hyper Terminal at home to get use to the commands however my router (will connect to it) is not able to bring anything up on the interface. I cannot type in any commands.

Did you make sure you matched the connection parameters? 38400 baud, no flow control (and I assume that it is 8bits, none (parity), and 1. If so, it may be a cabling issue, I usually keep a few different kinds of cables and gender changers around so that I can readily switch between rollovers, serial, null modem, etc). You might try a different cable or see if you can get the pinouts for their serial connection and make your own (you'd think they'd be the same, but I have found often times they are not).
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

[offtopic]
    nebulus200: Nah, no complex configs or anything. It was just set as the default gateway. No forwarding, no filtering, nothing. Every so often (at least once per night) I had to go power cycle the damn thing. Then everything was fine. Then it just stopped grabbing a IP from my ISP via PPPoE. I plugged in another router and that was fine. So, I updated the firmware on the dlink and it would finally grab an ip address. But now whenever someone was getting incoming email, the client would start pulling email (didn't matter which client) and again it'd lock up the router. There were no more firmware updates, so I put back in my Cisco and tossed the DLink in the closet. Up until that point I was just using the Cisco for lab assignments so I could learn the CLI better.
    [/offtopic]
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.