Thread: tasklist..ERROR: The dependency service

tasklist..ERROR: The dependency service

hi all
    its winxp pro.
    every time i run tasklist i got this error
    (ERROR: The dependency service or group failed to start.)
    any advice will be appreciated.
    coolcamel.

I've seen this problem before, it's related to network and internet functions most often internet connection sharing. and is reported as error 1068. Basically, what this means is that some fundamental networking component is absent or malfunctioning and this is causing the services that depend on these components to fail. Some application or service has most likely deleted, modified or updated the underlying components in an unexpected manner. Try uninstalling and reinstalling your network components, i.e. Client for MS Networks, Remote Procedure Call, Application Layer Gateway Service, and other services in the system configuration utility. I bet you could find some more info by doing a search for 'error 1068 dependency service or group failed to start'. Hope this helps.
    We are a generation without a middle. We have no great war or depression. Our war is a spiritual one, our depression is our lives. We were all raised to believe that we\'ll all be millionaires and rockstars - But we won\'t.
    And we are slowly learning this fact...And we are VERY pissed off about it!

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Neptune, good advice. I researched it a little bit further and found this link to a MS Knowledge Base Article. It appears that it may even be easier than uninstalling/reinstalling the network components.
    CoolCamel, try that link and follow MS's instructions and see if that fixes your problem. If not, we'll just have to keep trying until we fix your problem or blow up your computer .
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

hi all
    i found some of that listed services are turned off.
    now, all of them are turnd on, except (Remote Access Auto Conection Manager)
    it won't turned on coz of this error "error1717 : The Interface is nknown"
    MS Knowledge Base Article
    i try what mentioned under WORKAROUND but i got the the error 1068.

> in DUN advanced tap ther is no option for turning inernet conection firewall on and off,and ther is
    somthing about( windows cannot display the proprties of this connection .the windows
    managment instrumentation (WMI) information might be corrupted. use system restore ...)
    any more advises.or i run R.C. coz i did not set a S.R.P.
    coolcamel.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    i found some of that listed services are turned off.
    now, all of them are turnd on, except (Remote Access Auto Conection Manager)
    it won't turned on coz of this error "error1717 : The Interface is nknown"
    MS Knowledge Base Article
    i try what mentioned under WORKAROUND but i got the the error 1068
    Ok, did you try installing the service pack as mentioned in article 811142 ?
    To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP
    Also,
    in DUN advanced tap ther is no option for turning inernet conection firewall on and off
    Do you want to know how to turn your internet firewall on/off?
    Try here
    Now, if you can't get into your Advanced properties tab in Network properties, try reading Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 823775

Well, that's it for now. Let us know if any of these solutions work for you.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

hi,and sorry am late.
    thank u ShagDevil for ur time.
    i did not know why i did not search google for this part"Windows cannot display the Properties of
    this connection. The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) information might be
    corrupted "which is what mentioned in Article ID:823775".
    so thanks for the links.
    To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP
    the ARABIC SP2 not yet in the updating site,so i cant obtain it.
    Well, that's it for now. Let us know if any of these solutions work for you.
    welll, i try this :
    from winxp pro CD i choose
    "Install optoinal windows components,then
    network services.
    and now i can use the tasklist .
    if you pipl have any comments to say about this solution pls dont hesitate.
    coolcamel.