Microsofts plans to "kill" linux?

Thread: Microsofts plans to "kill" linux?

Microsofts plans to "kill" linux?

I just found an article here that states that microsoft plans to come out with smaller, roll based versions of longhorn after their server release around 2007.

Their idea is that people like linux because you can reprogram the kernel and add things you want and remove things you dont want to suit your specific needs. Microsoft decided to sell multiple versions to suit your needs at a lower cost than a full version. I am having a hard time figuring out what good this will do. I know that less code may make it harder for a hacker to crack it, but I dont see why a business will want to buy five different versions of windows for what they need.

For example, they may need longhorn pro for computers that need to use cad or programming, then there is going to be a server version of longhorn to put them all together, then, according to the article, there is going to be a web server version, then storage, file and print serving versions.

Wont this in the long run cost more? Make more confusion? And how is this supposed to kill linux?

input?
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our childrenís children, because I donít think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

a quick read of the artical, the term "Kill Linux"was used by the author of the artical NOT Misrocoft.. to it is an assumtion of the intentions of microsoft.. the author didn't seem to have a very good understanding of what he was writing about..

Wont this in the long run cost more? Make more confusion? And how is this supposed to kill linux?
    The title is the authors assumption, with no real supporting statements.. your question needs to be thrown back at the author..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

term "Kill Linux"was used by the author of the artical NOT Misrocoft
    My post wasnt completely about MS killing linux. youre right on the fact that the author used this term without any support. But I had other questions there, you seemed to only stick on the "killing linux" part. I merely wanted to know what people thought about Microsoft making different versions. I dont have any real business experience so i wouldn't know if what they plan to do would be very effective. To me, it doesnt seem very effective. Perhaps there might be someone here that works in an office and has experience to share.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our childrenís children, because I donít think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Banned
    From what I gathered from the article it appears MS merely wants to provide a solution to those who want to control what goes into their OS. What they fail to realize is that people don't want multiple solutions at a cost per solution, MS comes out with 5-10 new versions each designed with certain people in mind costing 200$ each....wow what about the multitaskers of the world, what about the people that want to have their own unique setup or even requires a unique setup. Microsoft can not provide that functionality at the moment without releasing source code which I'm fairly sure they won't be doing anytime in my lifetime. Sure there is a large mix of linux users in the world and some could be enticed away with things like that or even an improved version of that but there will still be linux and linux users because of the control it gives the user. I use gentoo and fvwm so you can gather I'm a control freak.
    Just my opinion.