Thread: Packet Sniffer/Firewall

Packet Sniffer/Firewall

Anyone know of some ways to program a packet sniffer or decent firewall in VB? Possible some API's? So Far I have found nothing worthwhile in API Guide. I think I heard awhile back that VB isnt lowlevel enough to intercept the TCP/IP packets. If its not possible, maybe so other languages that would be good to program one in.
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

Although programming a packet sniffer or a firewall is possible using VB, I think there would be
    better languages suited to this task. Like you said, VB really isn't low-level enough to handle these things, but there are various addin technologies that make this possible (DLL's, COM's, OCX's just to name a few). Using controls like mswinsck.ocx, libpcab, or even packages like dart tcp / server (Just to name a few) make authoring TCP apps easier then coding all the rudimentary packet stuff yourself. It's even possible to write using scipting ; (vb, java, wscript).
    When your coding for sniffing and firewalls, your talking about TCP/IP socket manipulation.
    I'm gonna assume that since your thinking about programming these, you already have atleast a general idea of tcp/ip. If not, you should definatly google for it to learn more.

These addin's will give you access to some important elements by exposing some higher level functions. Programming a sniffer would basically involve putting the interface into promiscuos mode so that it will read all network traffic (Not just the data meant for you). On anything but a small network there will be a lot of traffic, so adding some kinda of packet filtering would be important. My advice would be to use the libpcap library for working with sockets, it's a great collection of code and should have everything you need for a decent network app. All good network addin's have some method of binding to ports. This would be usefull for a firewall. you should also look at the various hook functions in the Win32 API. These will help when
    dealing with and enforcing and networking policy's your firewall might have to implement. I know my information wasn't to specific, but I tried to give you just an overview and maybe maybe a place to start. If you have anymore questions let me know...
    We are a generation without a middle. We have no great war or depression. Our war is a spiritual one, our depression is our lives. We were all raised to believe that we\'ll all be millionaires and rockstars - But we won\'t.
    And we are slowly learning this fact...And we are VERY pissed off about it!

You should find many projects using VB with the pcap library.

This comes from "http://winpcap.polito.it/misc/links.htm"

# PacketVB
    Its an ActiveX for use with Visual Basic that wraps the function exported by the WinPcap API (packet.dll).
    http://packetvb.sourceforge.net/
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Thanks, both posts were helpful. Ive seen a few examples in VB using the winpcap lib. Thanks for the info.
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

i don't know if this helps but anyway check:

- www.planet-source-code.com

for VB codes

and get a free packet sniffer and monitor from :

- www.analogx.com/files/pmoni.exe
    One Man\'s Villain, is another man\'s HERO

My Vb experiance is limited, but I know Vb can do calls to most dlls.

Look into winsock.dll, wsock32.dll, and anything you can find about Windows Sockets.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=789\"A dark angel of sin, preying deep from within...\" - Rob Halford