Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need Admin account, help!

Originally posted here by nihil
    That is not possible according to Microsoft.................how are you logging into the machine then?.............are you sure it is not the Guest account that is disabled?
    Well, either a change has been done in SP2 or they are simply wrong. Test yoursef. Scary stuff.
    Do this:
    The SID 500 Admin account, disable it after creating another account w admin rights.
    Then reboot and enter with the user with admin rights and go into tha users properties and remove youserlf form ALL memberships and reboot. Voila, ****ed up

I can enter with my Power User acount but as stated this account won't let me create any admin account. Other account yes, but not admin account.
    .·´¯`·-·´¯`wayuu´¯`·-·´¯`·.
    \'To attain knowledge add something every day....
    ....to attain wisdom remove something every day.\'

Originally posted here by jbclarkman
    my opinion is get something like: EBCD which can be found here: http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_admini...password.htm#3

Create a cd and pop it in the current computer and reboot. Than you can reset passwords or undisabled/unlock adminstrator accounts.

Hope this helps
    ~Jonathan
    I have EBCD, WinEBCD, F.I.R.E. and others but I can't find any app on them that can help with enabling the main admin account. Please tell me which app on EBCD that can do this.
    I havn't used any of them boot CDs much so I need help which app.

Thx

Well they are not wrong with XP Pro SP1,

It sounds like your system has become corrupted. Why would you want to disable the Main Admin account anyway? I can understand doing that to the guest account and RENAMING the Admin account.

Can you delete the Admin account from Power/Super User? or can you run the recovery console with that password or the original main Admin password?

You seem to have upgraded to SP2................maybe something went wrong when that was happening? It does sound like you have a corruption as you should not be able to disable anything other than the "guest" account.

Otherwise you seem to have discovered a gross design flaw in SP2

It might be worth reporting it to Microsoft.

I am afraid that you may well have to back up your data and re-install

Good luck!

Thank you very much Nihil for trying to help me.

Some answers to your questions:

I always disable OR rename the SID 500 admin and create another user admin account to use, for security reasons.

I don't know if it is a corrupted system since I can't see any signs of it and since it's not my computer and don't know every step my uncle has done. But he IS an ordinary user and doesn't know much about comps. Could be that it is somehow corrupted without me being able to see that tho

You say "you should not be able to disable anything other than the "guest" account". Sorry, but that's wrong. You CAN disable ALL accounts, as long as there is ONE account left enabled with admin rights.

I've tried using the Power User pwd in Recover Console to no use. Also tried the disabled main admin (the disabled one) pwd and doesn't work either. Gonna get my uncles user admin pwd tomorrow and test with that too. But since his account now is member of NO groups at all, I got no hopes for that either.

The Power User account will not allow me to delete any admin account.

Thx again nihil

Guess I can't be bored ;P

You are welcome, sorry I could not be of more help but I am still at SP1 (one of those potentially problem AMD machines) I know that there have been major changes with SP2

You say "you should not be able to disable anything other than the "guest" account". Sorry, but that's wrong. You CAN disable ALL accounts, as long as there is ONE account left enabled with admin rights.
    That is exactly how I understood it, and how it works in SP1 except that I only seem to be able to disable "guest" otherwise I have to delete them. Mind you, it is not something I have ever needed to do, so it might be possible. However I suspect that it could be a new feature with SP2? I really don't understand the logic. Surely an account should be available for use, or not there at all?.........I don't think that having disabled accounts with admin rights lying around your system is a good idea from a security viewpoint.

It could lull people into a false sense of security?........supposing a hacker managed to activate one....AH! just like taxis and policemen, there is never one there when you need one.........we could actually use such a hacker right now

Like yourself I rename the main Admin account and create another account in the admin group.

I don't think that you would notice if it was corrupted, but the system has allowed a situation to arise where there are NO accounts with admin rights that are enabled. That is either a corruption, or a flaw in SP2. As you say above there should be ONE left?

Good luck

Originally posted here by -=Wayuu=-
    I have EBCD, WinEBCD, F.I.R.E. and others but I can't find any app on them that can help with enabling the main admin account. Please tell me which app on EBCD that can do this.
    I havn't used any of them boot CDs much so I need help which app.

Thx
    I believe if you load the EBCD bootable CD and than use option 4 or 5. This should ask if you want to reset a password or access files on the computer. Once in this mode(actually linux) you should select the hard drive to mount(normally the correct defaults are in brackets and you can just press enter) and than it will ask if your going to reset a password and you can select yes. It will ask for an account, and than tell you what the account settings are: "locked, disabled, password never expires" and will ask if you want to reset all atributes to false. say yes to this, and than reset the password to my favorite "*" which should reset the password to a blank password. However in the very end it will ask if you want to write the file to disk. Make sure to select NO. The passwords will still get reset and the account changed, however I recently used this on my windows 2000 sp4 machine and when I selected Yes, i loaded windows only to find my admin account has disapeared and an error when loading local users and groups saying it was corrupt.

Let me know if you need more help

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    OK as u r about to reinstall the windows try using this i m sure this will work. Its working 100% in windows 2000

Log into windows with any account no matter if it doesnot have privillages of Administrator or not.

Now goto run and type "regedit" and enter if its not working try "Regedt32".

A window will popup and u will see some main headings on left hand side. Now scroll for the following entry.

HKEY_USERS\. DEFAULT\Control Panel

here u will see an entry on left "DESKTOP" single click on it and this will show u some entries on right hand side.

FInd the following entries and chage there values to what i have written: -

SCRNSAVE.EXE

click and open it and assign it the complete path of your command prompt. for example c:\cmd.exe or whtever is urs.

ScreenSaveTimeOut

THis is the timeout for the screensaver. its in seconds so assign it value say suppose 2 .

ScreenSaveActive
    Sets its value to 1

ScreenSaverIsSecure
    set the value to 0

Now close the registry press F5 and restart your computer.
    At the login page wheru hit Alt+Ctrl+Del dont do anything just wait, after the timeout value that you have entered command prompt will run.

Now comes the last part do this: -

when the command prompt appear write the following command
    c:>net admin yournewpassword

now u can login with the main administrator account with the new password.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Fanacool. Thx, but not working.

I loged in as a Power User and tried editing reg. but when trying to edit a key I get error saying that key "can't be edited. An error occured while writing the new value" (not exact message since I translated it from my language).

Too bad cause this trick looked great.

I can edit Hkey_Current_User, but not Hkey_Users

Just to close this one

-=Wayuu=- figured it out...............

Like most of us, he uses Windows English version, his uncle uses the Swedish one!

"administrator" has a slightly different spelling in Swedish

Obviously, if you don't spell the account name correctly...........................

Originally posted here by jbclarkman
    I believe if you load the EBCD bootable CD and than use option 4 or 5. This should ask if you want to reset a password or access files on the computer. Once in this mode(actually linux) you should select the hard drive to mount(normally the correct defaults are in brackets and you can just press enter) and than it will ask if your going to reset a password and you can select yes. It will ask for an account, and than tell you what the account settings are: "locked, disabled, password never expires" and will ask if you want to reset all atributes to false. say yes to this, and than reset the password to my favorite "*" which should reset the password to a blank password. However in the very end it will ask if you want to write the file to disk. Make sure to select NO. The passwords will still get reset and the account changed, however I recently used this on my windows 2000 sp4 machine and when I selected Yes, i loaded windows only to find my admin account has disapeared and an error when loading local users and groups saying it was corrupt.

Let me know if you need more help

My findings are as follows:

You point out that I should not save to file, so I didn't, giving me the result that it did not enable the disabled account, i.e. didn't work at all (Did not reset, enable or anything). You said you got a corrupt system when you wrote to file. I've now tested several times with different accounts disabled and even, listen to this crazy thing, ALL accounts disabled, built in and fresh new accounts. There is NO account enabled, all X:ed (wow, shouldn't be possible I think).
    But to enable and/or reset/change pwd you HAVE to write to file.
    My three tests worked great. No corruption.

This test was made on a new fresh install of XP Pro (Swedish, which shouldn't be an issue), BUT no SP1, SP1a, or SP2. Actually NO updates at all.

Next I tested a fully updated english XP w SP2. Same thing here. XP allows you to actually disable ALL accounts, built in and others. EBCD worked the same way as it did with the previously tested XP system.
    This time I tested to set a new pwd through EBCD interface. Setting new pwd did NOT work, only resetting pwd to empty worked.

EBCD can't create any membership though so the account without any membership will remain so but at least now enabled. Same with built in Admin account (or any other account), they can all be enabled and set with a new pwd or no pwd.

That's all folks

Thx jbclarkman for the tip to get EBCD. I actually mistook it for UBCD, which is the one I had.