Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WindowsUpdate after SP2

Question WindowsUpdate after SP2

Hi all.
    Long time since I posted something...Sorry if this is the wrong forum.
    Anyway, I have a problem downloading updates from Windows Update site. It just stays there checking but nothing happens, only the progress bar moving and after a while IE closes.
    This began to happen after installation of SP2, before that, it used to work just fine.
    I've tried registering several libraries, executing some procedures but right now I'm out of ideas as to why this is happening.
    By the way, checking the Windowsupdate.log file, I've found these error codes 0x80246005, 0x8024000c, 0x8024400d
    I have a dialup connection, and no proxies or firewalls installed, just SP2. I tried disabling windows firewall and no change.
    So any idea will be very appreciated.
    \"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm.. Rumor is that SP2 can be applied to cracked Windows copies but after that, you won't be able to apply anything else. So.. errr.. ummm... is your's a legit copy?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Well MsMittens, I haven't heard that yet, but, yes, mine is a legal copy.
    Any ideas?

Hrmm... have you installed anything else since SP2?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

No, just right after that, I went to windowsupdate, and problems began....

Have you done the standard check for virus and spyware (perhaps they are interfering with it?)

Re: WindowsUpdate after SP2

0x80246005
    take a look here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;241783

see if it helps you
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Ok...After reading your post the first thing that I though was a network connect problem...Like trying to update thru a firewall, a proxy or something like that. But towards the end of your
    message you state that both are not installed on your system. Two's of those error messages I've seen before (0x80246005, 0x8024000c) and they do relate to network connections. However, that last one (0x8024400d) I've never seen (and after doing a search on MSN, apparently neither has Microsoft.). So I'm not really sure what the specifc's of your problem is.
    Usually, when something goes bad with AutomaticUpdate, it's caused by an interrupted install.
    I think it's possible that what happened was during your last update, the process was interrupted by something. I did notice you had a dialup connection, could it be possible that your install was interrupted by call waiting? If not, then it's still possible that an application or service did it. Restore points are your friend . I would try the update one more time, but this time make sure no unnecassary programs are running and if you have call waiting, turn it off for a while. If you have access to a fast connection, you might try downloading the file install version of SP2 from Microsofts sites (I think it's 200 - 300 mb). This will install much as a regular program would, and completely avoids all the complexites in AutomaticUpdate. In addition it has many additional drivers and install mechanisms which tend to 'get along better' with other 'progs...See if that helps...
    We are a generation without a middle. We have no great war or depression. Our war is a spiritual one, our depression is our lives. We were all raised to believe that we\'ll all be millionaires and rockstars - But we won\'t.
    And we are slowly learning this fact...And we are VERY pissed off about it!

Now I had something similar happen actually. I figured out the fix, but it never made a lick of sense.

I tried to install SP2 on a client's machine, but it would hang up when running the update. I would get the blue progress bar that scrolls back and forth. Well, I opened up another Window to go to another website, and as soon as I did that, update unfroze!

Tried it again...Update froze. Again, opened a second window, surfed to a different site, then went back to the first window...Update resumed.

Very wierd, but it worked. I'll never know why!

Thanks guys for the tips.
    Sorry I've been out of town, so I'l try that and let you know.
    Thanks again