Thread: BASIC interpreter/compiler written in C++

Exclamation BASIC interpreter/compiler written in C++

I'm looking for a BASIC compiler or interpreter written in C++ (or similar language) that is opensource....and obtainable free. I am interested in writing one of my own....but have little clue how to go about it in C++. I've written a simple scripting language that is similar to BASIC, but it only has about 6 commands and I have no clue how to implement most commands, mathematics with variables, and many other aspects.

I'd prefer one based on the BASIC language because I know the language, and it is rather simple....but one for another very simple language would be nice. This is basically a way for me to learn how to pass commands to a program that are written. As of now I'm designing, though not yet developing, a win32 GUI for QBASIC 7.1.

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

I cant give a link, but forth compilers are supposed to be simple to create

I think if you search hard enough youll find could for a fourth compiler for the PDP-10

i2c

edit - http://www.forth.org/compilers.html

have a look at the Kforth compiler for linux, its something like 18k and the code is really simple to follow..

Okay, I've found one called KoolB. I suppose it's rather simple to follow...assuming I knew more assembly, because I'm not sure how to convert BASIC to assembly quite yet. But I am still working on the GUI for QBASIC 7.1. I was wondering if anyone knew how it just 'interprets' a .BAS file without first compiling them. Back before QB7.1, you couldn't even compile them...how does that work, because as of now I can only pass arguments to BC.EXE (to compile with MS BASIC Compiler).

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.