xp service pack 2 makes me crash

Thread: xp service pack 2 makes me crash

xp service pack 2 makes me crash

i just did a fresh install of windows and everything was working for a couple days, until i installed service pack 2(it gives you that stupid windows security center thing) now whenever i stat up, it hangs at the login screen. the only way i can make it start up is to boot into safe mode and do a restart from there, then it will boot into regular mode with no problem... i have no idea why this works it just does

i also am about to install linux(probably slackware) as soon as i make sure that all my hardware works with windows and i have been hearing that i should make separate partitions for my /home, /usr, and /var(if i should even have one). can somebody point me to a tutorial on how to install linux this way and how much space i should give each partition?

Antionline Herpetologist
    i have been hearing that i should make separate partitions for my /home, /usr, and /var(if i should even have one). can somebody point me to a tutorial on how to install linux this way and how much space i should give each partition?
    If you're installing a multiboot system, aren't really planning on running a server and don't have too many users, there's no point at all in making separate partitions for /home, /usr and /var. The only time you want to make separate partitions is when you have a lot of accounts on the system and you want users to only use up so much space. Think of it as putting the Documents and Settings folder in XP on a separate drive so that the maximum space that the user documents can take up is the drive size.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

ok, i had heard that it makes updates easier or something, but if it's totally unnescessary then ill forget about it. has anybody heard of my other problem? i think service pack 2 has some kind of confilict with my system, possibly with the video card(i have to use an old 16 mb vodoo while i wait for my new one to come in the mail) because it often shows funny lines and dots when it hangs

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I have heard that service pack 2 has been causing systems with invalid windows XP licenses to lock up or crash. Just a thought.

xmaddness
    http://www.planetmaddness.com

its not invalid(though we are using the same cd key on three of our comps now) the boot screen doesnt say xp home anymore, just "windows xp" and the color of the loading bar animation has changed from green to blue

Antionline Herpetologist
    Go into safe mode and check the event viewer for errors. Right click on My Computer->Manage->Event Viewer->System. This might give you an insight into what is causing your problems.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com