Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slackware/gnome problem

slackware/gnome problem

i just installed slackware and chose gnome as my primary desktop. everything is working fine except that there seems to be a problem with nautilus. when gnome loads it hangs when it tries to load nautilus and then quits, the desktop doesnt work, and when i try to open the "browse filesystem" shortcut, nothing happens. i tried running nautilus with the console and this is what it says:
    nautilus: error while loading shared libraries: libcdda_paranoia.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    anybody know how to fix this?

BANNED
    install libcdda_paranoia.so.0 ???
    Do you have slack 9 or 10?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

i have 10. i dont understand why it would require a library that doesnt come with the installation... i didnt uselect anything besides the pcmia during the install

What type of install did you do? What did you install?

GNOME is odd, and from what I've read, Nautilus is for odler version, as they have switched something in it. Even though when I look at top, it shows Naut still there, so I'm sure I just misread it, but anwyay, uhh, I've never once seen this error and I use GNOME all the time when I use X.

i followed your slackware install guide
    is it possible that the install discs are corrupt or something? im also having some other problems, i dont know if they're related or not: i cant lock the screen as root and i cant run certain programs (particularly mozilla or galeon) unless im root or do a sudo

You're clearly showing some troubles there.

It is possible for the disks to be corrupted though it doesn't happen often (Well, to me it hasn't) where did you get them? Was there any problems while you were downloading them? Even what seemed like lag? I've had problems before because the download had problems so I just redownloaded the disks, but for some this isn't viable.

BANNED
    cdparanoia is on your slack disc. It's on the first disk under slackware/ap/cdparanoia-IIIalpha9.8-i386-1

well, ill try reinstalling cdparanoia. if all else fails i guess i'll redownload and reburn(there go two more cd's) i actually have had problems with burning a cd and then the disc being corrupt or possibly the download. when i downloaded both at the same time while playing counter strike... maybe that has something to do with it?

BANNED
    did you check the md5sum? It saves a lot of time and sometimes a disc or two.
    http://linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html

i reinstalled and the problem with nautilus is gone, but the thing where root cant lock the screen and the thing where only root can execute mozilla and some other applications is still going on... anybody know how to fix this, it sounds like a permsissions problem or something. i can run mozilla with sudo but its so much easier to just click the little thingy in the drop down menu. im trying the md5sum thing right now

edit:
    oops, i already deleted those iso's cuz i had to format my hd to install slackware... maybe i could rip the cd's to an iso and then do an md5sum?

edit: another thing with the permissions problem, when i execute a web browser that comes with gnome, epiphany as a regular user, i dont get a scrollbar, but i get one as root.