Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Lightbulb Advice

Ok, here's the deal...I'm pulling my hair out and not coming up with anything that solves the problem, so I'm seeing what other ideas you guys might have.

Problem: machine works absolutely 100% fine. No crashes, no dumps, no error reports, nothing...except when a game is started. Then, depending on the game, it may crash out (Pirates of the Carribean), error report from the game's own utility (Warcraft 3), or freeze and/or reboot (Warcraft 3).

Things I have done:

1) I've reinstalled XP entirely and patched everything up to SP2. SP1 w/ all extra patches and every patch except SP2.

2) I've downloaded Seagate's disk-testing utility and tested my single 120gb SATA drive, no errors.

3) I've updated DX from 8.1 (native XP installation) to DX 9.0b. No dice. I then updated DX to 9.0c. No dice.

4) I've updated my ATI drivers to 4.9 from 4.8. No dice. I went back to 4.8. No dice.

5) I've updated all my mb drivers, sound drivers, etc...

6) I ran Memtest86 v3.1 for 8 hours while I was at work, thinking a memory problem was the key. No dice.

7) I unplugged the whole damned machine and left it like that for an hour, thinking that was an issue (we did just have four hurricanes in 6 weeks). No dice.

8) Reinstalled everything from the ground up *three* times. No dice...

Setup

Motherboard - Asus A7V600 w/ updated drivers.
    Sound Card - Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/ updated drivers.
    Memory - 1.5gb of Crucial PC3200 DDR (3x512).
    Network - DLink Gigabit w/ XP-installed drivers.
    Video Card - ATI 9800 XT w/ 4.9 drivers, no control center.
    Hard Drive - Seagate SATA 120gb.
    OS - XP Pro licensed legit, updated.

Other key things to note

Every error that I've seen has pointed to two things. Either ATI kicks in its own utility and says "Hey, your video card just got restarted because it stopped receiving commands" or Blizzard kicked its own utility on and said "Hey, couldn't do something when trying to 'read/write' to 0xblahblahblah".

I have absolutely no idea where to go or what to do. I've had no power strikes, no imminent failures, nothing... Yet after I reinstalled to begin with (split the SATAs so I could use one elsewhere, broke the RAID 0), I've had no luck with my games. Everything else is fine; absolutely 100% great...

Sucks...maybe someone has an idea...help? (!!!!!)
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

As a guess, it sounds like a video card issue to me. Do you have access to another video card you can replace yours with and test it that way?
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

BANNED
    I had the same problem with wc3 and neverwinternights. I tryed the radeon card which was a x300 and the onboard card. gateway and bestbuy both told me I was screwed. Wish I could help.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Yeah, I'm trying another video card tomorrow. Testing an NVidia card just to see and if it works in the same system as everything else, then I'll be doing warranty work on the XT, which has worked flawlessly up until this reinstall. Very weird...

Many thanks for the advice, I'm taking anything into consideration at this point. It's been a very stable box until I broke the RAID.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Hey hey,

I've just got a few questions.... no advice per se, but they may pave the way to an answer.

1. Have you tried out dxdiag? Does it return any errors?
    2. What speed is your AGP running at? I've seen reports of games (including WC3) crashing on 8X AGP.
    3. When you say the games own utility, do you mean the WarCraft III Video Test. Otherwise you may want to try running it.
    4. How's the heat coming off your video card? Does it have a fan? Is the fan still spinning?

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

4. How's the heat coming off your video card? Does it have a fan? Is the fan still spinning?
    Ahh, what I was thinking I was wondering how your cooling/heating issues were going as well as how often or how many video card's you tried. Also, have you checked to make sure the game's required specifications (down to the bone) are fulfilled? It could be just that one game's issue.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Are you overclocking anything? I have known that produce weird effects

If you are, take everything back to normal, re-boot, then re-overclock..............no idea why that works, but it does

a) AGP 8X. As HT stated, there is a lot of instabilities at 8x. I have a similar conf (but with a 9600) and i cant see a performance increase changing to 8x - so i set AGP to 4x -

b) AGP Aperture size?

c) via 4x1 driver updated too?

d) bios updated?

e) video overclock?

f) and the final one - power supply. I hope that you have a power supply (a really good one) with more than 420w to sustain your config. could you post it here?
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Did you read the "read me" included with the video games?

Sometimes they post known problems (such as problems with certain video cards, etc) in the readme and information on how to fix said problems.

I had that problem once with Grand Theft Auto III, I think. I had to install a patch and it worked just fine afterwards.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

BANNED
    Not to thread hijack but the one I'm having problems with has a 3.4ghz w/ HT, 1 gig ddr ram, radeon x300 se, a 250gb 7500 rpm hd , 2 120 mm fans. I opened the case the other day and it has a 305w power supply. Do you guys think that could be the problem and why on gods green earth would they put such a crappy power supply with that box?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...