Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home network setup

home network setup

can anyone to help me how to setup a home network?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well depending on what your intent is and budget you can do what is commonly done: purchase a SOHO/Home Router or Switch (e.g., Netgear, Linksys, D-Link), use the DHCP server off of that to assign internal IPs to each machine and have it (the router/switch) connect to your DSL/Cable modem on the WAN port.

"The Internet" <---> DSL/Cable Modem <-------> Router/Switch <--->Home Computer(s)

If you want wireless, there would be additionally considerations such as layout (location of the Access Point) and types of cards to use based on OS.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I agree with MsMittens it depends on what kind of network setup you want.. and budget

well anyway first thing first you a PC..... just kidding
    if you really don't have experience in home network try to look at HOWSTUFFWORKS.

but really you a router,hub, NIC, cable/dsl modem for your internet connection
    regarding your PC how many PC are you planning inside your house?

well we need more info so we can help you out friend!

********** |ceWriterguy
    2 things that might help - Networking for Dummies, and Windows XP for Dummies. Networking will give you the basic principles of it in plain English, WinXP (assuming you're running that o/s on your machines) will give you a bit on how to do it. After trying it out, and seeing how unsecure it is, return to AntiOnline and ask away...

Luck to you!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I don't intend to derail this thread, but what components would you need to set up a home network for LAN hacking? Is it exactly the same? (obviously every box needs to have an IP address, so thanks MsM for already helping me out!)

I don't intend to derail this thread, but what components would you need to set up a home network for LAN hacking?
    Basically. Depending on what you want to play with will determine the specific components (see my Tutorials for one on Wargames). You may want to add a hub so that you can experiment with sniffers and DoS tools locally. Additionally, you can use the hub to further exploration of effective IDSes (switched networks tend to be problems for IDSes and in enterprise environments the use of mirrored ports works well but I don't think I've found too many SOHO switches with that ability).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

So basically I would need a hub, 2+ computers w/ NICs, CAT 5 cables, and base it on DHCP to make it a bit easier for myself: is that it? Would all the computers be given IP addresses automatically, and there I have a network? Sorry I've just never set one up before.

So basically I would need a hub, 2+ computers w/ NICs, CAT 5 cables, and base it on DHCP to make it a bit easier for myself: is that it? Would all the computers be given IP addresses automatically, and there I have a network? Sorry I've just never set one up before.
    Basically yup. The hub is for the "LAN Hacking" (although the term is rather misleading -- better to say LAN Wargames). You might want to consider a switch or router with built-in firewall for any internet access options.

How you know it if there is a BUILT_IN FIREWALL in your router? and how to install a fire wall? tnx!!!!!!

Originally posted here by |3lack|ce
    2 things that might help - Networking for Dummies, and Windows XP for Dummies. Networking will give you the basic principles of it in plain English, WinXP (assuming you're running that o/s on your machines) will give you a bit on how to do it. After trying it out, and seeing how unsecure it is, return to AntiOnline and ask away...

Luck to you!
    I agree with Him, we might read first some books or e-books online so
    it will not be confusing for you to know the techinical terms or whatsoever regarding
    this home network...
    just try to read the basic terms and then it will be more omn self discovery!!!!

happy networking!