Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intel kills plans for 4GHz Pentium

Originally posted here by Tim_axe
    From what I've seen, all of Intel's recent (Pentium3 on up) processors have a full-speed L2 cache. Even their Celerons. I think half-speed L2 Cache ended with the Pentium II era. Feel free to correct me on this for Intel's Desktop offerings. ( Processor Specs @ Intel: http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/default.asp )
    That may be the case, but I seem to remember some issue related to hyperthreading that would increase cache latency and slow down cache access. I also wouldn't put a whole tonne of faith in a document that simply lists the cache speed as identical to the core clock listing (for a P4 2.40A, "2.40A GHz").

I'd love to get my hands on a dual Opteron board with AGP 8X support, unfortunately it puts the systems well outside of my price range.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

I also wouldn't put a whole tonne of faith in a document that simply lists the cache speed as identical to the core clock listing (for a P4 2.40A, "2.40A GHz").
    True. Haha, I didn't catch that one

I'd love to go Opteron also, but I couldn't afford it. So I voided a few warrenties and built a monster dual 2.45GHz AthlonXP-M (1.35volt 2400+ mobile processor overclocked by leaps and bounds) system. With a bit of watercooling that I'm planning later this year, I'd expect to run this at 2.5GHz or higher. For $80 per processor, I think I'm close enough to the performance (if not beating it) of a low-end $200 Opteron 2xx processor to be the winner here. For the cost of my entire system, you might be able to buy a single Opteron 240 processor, a decent motherboard, maybe a 512MB stick of RAM, and a cheap HDD...

I would guess my 45 Mhz e-mail server needs ..... updating?

Ah, I crack myself up.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

we dont really know what will happen in this coming 2005
    but on my own opinion i think Intel will focus on this 64 bit processore and forget the old one's (i mean is will focusing on this new technocrap)= less heat & whtsoever ....I wish.....
    is there any 64 bit OS (windows xp and linux)..... ohh i think ill made one 128 bit
    <just kdding>!!!

intel....
    so they can get the high rate in the market ...
    and AMD will adpt this or what? I think the AMD 64 blow intel.. naaahhhhhhhh