ipconfig /displaydns doesn't work

Thread: ipconfig /displaydns doesn't work

ipconfig /displaydns doesn't work

In Windows 2000 Professional, on the command line, I try ipconfig /displaydns. The answer:
    Could not display the DNS Resolver Cache.
    On my notebook with Windows XP Home Edition the command does work. What could be the cause of this problem?

Thanks.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Just a guess but perhaps no DNS Resolver Cache? Might want to try a flush of the cache. Have you changed any settings recently?

MS' knowledge base article on ipconfig/displaydns

MS Knowledgebase article for XP Home Edition commands for Ipconfig (might want to try the flushdns and registerdns)

Windows Network.com Article
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks for the links.

When I try ipconfig /flushdns it says (how surprising):
    Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache.

Next I tried ipconfig /registerdns. It says that the action has been initiated, and that any errors will be reported in the event log. I hadn't thought yet of looking there, but it contains some interesting errors (not related to the registerdns), which occurred when I started the PC (I have an ADSL connection to the Internet, and it seems to function without problems).

The first one: The Point to Point Protocol module C:\WINNT\System32\rastls.dll returned an error while initializing. The network request is not supported.
    The second (same time): The Control Protocol EAP in the Point to Point Protocol module C:\WINNT\System32\rasppp.dll returned an error while initializing. The network request is not supported.
    The third: Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because the Point to Point Protocol failed to initialize. The network request is not supported.
    The fourth: The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error:
    The network request is not supported.

I haven't changed any settings recently, but about one week ago I had severe problems because of a 0x1E stop. At some point a lot of Windows files were repaired via the recovery console. Perhaps there are still a number of Windows files in a not so good condition?!

Sounds like it might be a possibility. Have you done a hard disk scan to ensure that the disk is ok and any bad areas are identified?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

I will thoroughly check the disk again, although it seemed to be OK after I recovered from the 0x1E stop problems. The errors in the event log are the same as those mentioned in the Microsoft knowledgebase article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...-us;823405#kb3
    I am indeed at W2K SP4, and I have no dial-up connections configured. The event log errors started immediately after the 0x1E period, so probably something has been corrupted.

Would it be harmful to try to install SP4 again, or to reload the DLL files from the event log errors from the original W2K CD?

I'm not quite sure why you thought it was a RRAS issue when it's identified here as possibly hardware, AV or 3rd party drivers (which would suggest a re-install of either the SP 4 and/or the DLLs).

STOP messages definitions

Article Q260830: STOP 0x1E in Usbhub.sys with Surprise Removal of USB

Article Q279343: STOP 0x1E with Terminal Services

Given that MS puts hardware issues as the first issue with this, I'd suggest double checking your various hardware components and definately the drive.

Between 20 and 28 september I have not been able to use my PC because of the 0x1E stops (could not even start in safe mode). After 9/28 I see the event log errors about rasppp.dll and rastls.dll. So I think something relating to RRAS has been corrupted by my recovery actions between 9/20 and 9/28, or by what caused the 0x1E stops in the first place.

I'm not 100% sure what the reason for the stops was, but probably it was indeed a hardware issue. The way in which I finally resolved the problem, was to unplug all unnecessary equipment from the PC. If my memory (which is pretty bad) is correct, one of the last things I did before the stops, was to connect a USB 2.0 hub to my PC (Asus P4PE motherboard). Maybe I'll try to plug it in again, to see what happens. I have first been busy to improve my backup schedule.

I'll try to check the status of the abovementioned DLL files, and possibly reload them. I'll let you know what the result is.

The reason for ipconfig /displaydns not working was very simple: the dnscache service wasn't running. I can't remember if I ever shut it down myself, and if so, why. Perhaps it's because my router functions as a DNS server, so I thought there was no need for any DNS services in my PC.