multiple nics in 1 pc

Thread: multiple nics in 1 pc

multiple nics in 1 pc

Ok my friend and I are currently enrolled in Cisco 2 Networking Academy at our local Vocational School. We have to do labs in each chapter and in one of our upcomming labs we have to have 7 computers attached to 3 routers and 2 switches, and instead of having to setup up all the workstations so that we can ping them all we wanted to put 4 nic cards in 1 machine and be able to ping to them seprately. We need a program to specify which nic we are pinging from.

Thanks

You didn't specify your desired operating system.

I beleive that if you are using linux, you can specify that without needing another program.

ping -I eth0 host
    ping -I eth1 host

I don't have a *nix box that I can test this on at the moment... but I beleive that I've done this before when troubleshooting some layer1 problems with cat5 cables.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

our current box has windows XP sorry. If we do not find a program i guess ill put red hat on it, thanks man for the tip

I'm unsure of any way to do this in XP without a third party tool...

However, one tool that I know will work is Engage Packet Builder.

It basically is a tool that will let you specify which interface and what type of packet you want to send. It is similar to hping for *nix, but it has a nice little GUI.

http://www.engagesecurity.com/produc...packetbuilder/

For your ping, you'll want to use the ICMP and run a sniffer to see the replies.
    You can use ethereal as your sniffer.

It'll really help if you know how ICMP works inside and out. Otherwise, you'll have a hard time figuring out what is going on? IMO, its not that difficult...

Or, you can do it a easy way.

Only keep one interface enabled at a time. When you want to use interface 1, then disable interface 2. Then when you want to use interface 2, disable interface 1. etc.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

thanks man just downloaded the program and installed it onto the machine, cheers hopefully it works. Thanks alot man. Roffles my teacher wants me to say its amazing how fast you guys respond to threads here. Well thanks again, ill be back if it doesnt work im sure it will by the looks of it. But oh well back to the box and ACL labs

You may need WINPCAP to use that. I don't remember. Check the docs on the site.

On my work machine (XP PRO) it works just fine.
    On my home machine, if I try to craft the wrong packets it'll BSOD my XP PRO box.
    Maybe its a hardware problem? Dunno.

Best of luck to you.