Thread: Hexadecimal convershions.

Post Hexadecimal convershions.

Hexadecimal base16 numbering system.

if you do not know binary or you have not read my first tutorial plz do because it should help you out a bit when it comes to under standing this tutorial because it is something you must know for this tutorial you can find my tutorial here or you can find it just under this one.

First hexadecimal or hex is a base 16 numbering system which means it has 16 different characters in it they are 0-9 and a, b, c, s, e, f. when you see a hex number it will look one of 2 ways it will just be number and letters "2a" or it will start with 0x "0x2a" they bolt me the same thing in this tutorial all hex number will be written with out the "0x" for conveinces purposes.

Ok now lets get started to convert hex to base10 numbering system you first have to make it binary how you do that is by breaking up the symbols in the hex number and making each one
    4 bits how you do this sounds hard to people who have never done it before but once you get it it will be very easy. Now lets say you have a hex number of "11" they way you would make it in to
    binary is to break up the binary standard 8 zeros in to 4 the last 4 zeros of the 8 so it will be the zeros that represent 1,2,4,8 and that is all you need. Ok now lets convert it
    Code:
    |  1  |  1  |
    |0001 | 0001|
    ok now you ask why did we make the first 0 a 1 that is because what you do it convert the hex digit in binary a 1 you make a 1 in binary and a 2 you make a 2 "0010"
    and a 3 a 3 "0011" and so on up till 9 then what you do is you string the 2 sets of 4 binary digits
    together so now instead of 2 separate blocks of 4 we have 1 hole block of 8 like this "00010001"
    which it 17 in base10 (now just if you are wondering why I put the 1s on top of the 0s it is to make it easer to see how you convert the 1s hex to 1s binary and then combine them). Here is another example.
    Code:
    |   2  |   2 |  
    | 0010 | 0010|
    |   00100010 |
    |     34     |
    But what if your hex number has letters in what to do no problem it is simple you know it goes from 0-9 well when you it "A" you just make it a 10 when you convert it like this
    Code:
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   a  b  c  d  e  f
                         10 11 12 13 14 15
    so say you have the hex number "ff" all you do it this
    Code:
    | f  |  f |
    | 15 | 15 |
    |1111|1111|
    |   255   |
    and one more with a combination of letters "AF"
    Code:
    | a  | f  |
    | 10 | 15 |
    |1010|1111|
    |   175   |
    Now if you have more than 2 Number or ltter combinations like "1AF" all you do is add 4 extra bits
    like so.
    Code:
    |   1  |   a  |   f  |
    | 0001 | 1010 | 1111 |
    |        431         |
    how i come up with 431 is the 8th 0 from the right is 128 and I double that to the 9th 0 which is then 256 and so on. If you have more than 3 hex symbols you just keep doing the same thing until you have all the symbols represented with 4 bits.

I hope you like my tutorial it is only my second if you need any help understanding something plz pm me i will be glade to help because I don’t know how good a job I did of explaining hex.

If you have any suggestions about this tutorial plz post it.

Decimal to Binary conversions

Most people when they start learning about computers hear of binary and hex but never learn about them this tutorial will change that it will teach you a little bit about them and it will teach you how to convert them.

*Before I say any thing about binary just remember that you read it backwards from right to left*

First off all I hope every one know the decimal system 0-9 well if you don’t this tutorial is not for you. Ok binary is a base 2 number system witch just means that it only has two numbers in it 0 and 1 un like hex witch has 16 but we will get into that much later. Binary is 8 bits or 8 1s and 0s the lowest number with hex you can represent is 0 and the highest number is 255 with the 8 bits.
    When you see binary it will look like this 00000001 this number is 1. How you would read it is by looking at the 1s only you don’t look at the 0s the right most spot in the 8 digits is represented as 1 and then the next is 2 then 4 then 8 and so on so it will look like this

Code:
    128 64 32 16 8  4  2  1
     0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0
    and now say you wanted to make the number 129 in binary what you would do is just make the 0s to 1s in the correct places by making the first one witch will represent 1 and the 8 1 witch is 128 and it makes 129
    Code:
    128 64 32 16 8  4  2  1
     1  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  this = 129.

Now before I said that the biggest number you can represent with binary 8 bits was 255 right well numbers don’t end at 255 so if you wanted to make a bigger number what you have to do is add more bits to it by adding 0s and 1s to the end of the number ( remember you read it right to left so the end of the number is the left side not the right) so what you would do is just add what you need now if you see the pattern in binary 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 but if you needed a bigger number you just double 128 to 256 then 512, 1024, 2048. So now the new line up would be

Code:
    2048 1024 512 256 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
      0    0   0   0   0   0  0  0 0 0 0 0
    then all you do is the same thing it is just you have bigger numbers. All you are doing is adding bits to the back of the list why you can do this is because back in the 80s the processors wear 8 bit so binary was limited to 8 bits but now most are 32 bit processors but the 8 bit standard stayed with binary but because we have 32 bit we can add numbers to the back of it this will come in to play in hexadecimal when you have more then 2 hex symbols.

If you have any other questions or if you have trouble reading this PM me and I will help you out because I don’t know how good I was at explaining it.

I know about that tutorial i wront the binary one befor the hex one and it is posted all ready in the AO other tutorial form but thats for the complment.

Plz assign antipoints to my tutorial if you like it.
    Why, do they make your dick bigger ?

btw: That statement will most likely get you negative anti points....lose the addiction tp AP's buddy !
    O.G at A.O

i it off but what i ment by it was for people to asign points to it so i know ware it stands in if it is good or not i was not asking people to give it points just to give it a better rating but so i know if i did a good jobe on it or not.

Although the information is good you really need to improve your English language skills, punctuation being somewhere on the top of that list. Sorry, but that's the sad truth, and it makes it very hard to get your point and the information across.

And never ask points for anything. They're there and everybody knows they're there, but that's all. You'll get points if people consider you should be getting points, but the way feedback goes is like this, through posts. APs have a different meaning which you might comprehend after you've spent a longer period of time here.
    /\\

i have gotten a bunch of spelling errors and more people telling me about them and i thank you for that and that you will tell me what i need to change and their will be an updated vershion wilth all the errors corrected by tonight.

Just Another Geek
    I have an easier way to convert from decimal to binary. Anybody can divide by 2.

Take 129 as in your example, divide by 2 and write down what's left (1 or 0):

Now read from bottom to the top and write from right to left:

easy... 254:

Which reads 11111110
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.