Thread: Phone Number based on Ip address?

Question Phone Number based on Ip address?

Hi,

Is there any way that any one can get the phone number based on the remote users ip address.

i hope positive reponse.

from sec_prof

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Generally no. IP addresses are just indications of a device located online and doesn't have a direct relationship with things like addresses or phone numbers. However, depending on the amount of information that the user of the IP puts out there (say nicknames, real names, etc.) you might find it through searches on Google, etc.

Is there a specific reason why you want to get a phone number?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Smile Re: Phone Number based on Ip address?

Hi,

I just want to know that how the ip address are assigned to the Phone number, i know they use DHCP for that but i m sure the service provider keep track that these Ip address is assigned to this Phone Number.

so we can exactly identify the place of that ip address where it is assigned. otherwise we can only know the service provider location only.

from

sec_prof

Banned
    A) You're assuming everyone uses dial-up/DSL... cable users and other higher broadband connections steer clear of the phones and use coaxial lines that can carry much more data across them.

B) I'm sure ISPs keep track of which dial-up/DSL user is assigned which IP for security and tracking reasons but I doubt they'd release that information to you, but you can always e-mail the ISP to which the IP belongs and ask. Go whois the IP and you'll get which ISP has rights to it and you can go from there.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I just want to know that how the ip address are assigned to the Phone number, i know they use DHCP for that but i m sure the service provider keep track that these Ip address is assigned to this Phone Number.
    They never are, even on dial-up/DSL. It's assigned to the user and quite often associated with the MAC address of the user's computer, not the phone number.

so we can exactly identify the place of that ip address where it is assigned. otherwise we can only know the service provider location only.
    You won't get phone info but some providers do label connections pretty close to block areas within cities. My provider does that and I can generally figure out if someone is in the west end or east end of the city or outside the city. But given that Toronto is 4.5 million people, that's still rather general. The ISP definately won't give you personal info unless you have proper legal authority for it (e.g., court order). Privacy of users on ISPs -- for most -- is very important.

I still say that you'd have better luck with the user's real name and/or handles/nicknames.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage